Offline billymiller

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
VR6 24v Serpentine Noise
« on: June 12, 2017, 07:51:13 pm »
01 Eurovan with a rattling-seque noise most noticeable at idle, on serpentine belt side of motor.

Can anyone weigh in on if the noise is the serpentine belt pulley?

Video of noise - https://youtu.be/MXP2UyIEZTc

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DjScooby22

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: VR6 24v Serpentine Noise
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 10:30:51 pm »
Hey Billy,
My 2003 Eurovan was making a ton of noise as well in the same area. Upon lots of research, the easiest way I found to detect the source of the noise is to buy one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SQYSM/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its a mechanics stethoscope, put it on and touch the fix points of all components ran by the Serpentine belt. Start with the Tensioner, Alternator, AC Compressor, Power Steering Pump, Crankshaft, crankshaft, and finally the coolant pump. Be sure to touch fixed points not the moving pulleys, so basically behind the pully or next to it. Google VR6 Serpentine belt to see a side diagram.

I found the culprit for my issue, it was the Power Steering pump, bearing must be bad, it was making a racket like marbles spinning inside. You can easily tell if the component is running fine versus hearing an issue. Most of the working components have a monotone spinning noise while a problematic component will sound off, it will be obvious once you start hearing each component.

It's straight forward and easy to learn the stethoscope, you can even touch the engine block and other areas to listen how a working component sounds then move to the serpentine belt area.

I got a PowerSteering pump and hose on order and I will get to work!

Hope this helps.

Todd

Offline billymiller

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: VR6 24v Serpentine Noise
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 09:17:13 pm »
Thank you for the feedback - I took a listen but was getting feedback from both the tensioner and water pump...wasn't sure if it could be one and resonating to the next pulley over.

Swapped both out, and after pulling them, the water pump was definitely on its way out and it didn't hurt changing the tensioner, though I don't think it was to the point of making the noise heard in the video.

Quiet as a whistle now, though it sounds like my N80 is on its way out.

Offline billymiller

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
VR6 24v Serpentine Noise
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 02:28:47 pm »
So I replaced the periodically noisy N80 (only made the obvious clicking noise for a couple days and then went away), cleared the P0455 (large EVAP leak) code, and now CEL is back with a P0442 (small EVAP leak).

Am I wrong to think this is tied in to the P80 somehow since the code changed or should I just start down the smoke test route...

Also I only had access to a non-Bosch N80 since I'm out of town, not sure if this is possibly asking for a problem since I've read some stories of issues related to not using OEM.

Thanks!