Offline fkahlert

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: Yakima roof tracks on a Westfalia top.
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 07:43:17 pm »
I spaced ours about 3 inches from the last bolt - in hindsight i should have tried to go a tad further back. On the other hand, if you want to put something on the crossbars, a bit further front allows you to use the step on the sliding door to get up there. The real issue is that the van is pretty tall to pack something on top of the crossbars.
FK

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2015, 10:38:44 pm »
What kind of step ladder or collapsible ladder do you use to be able to reach your rooftop cargo boxes?
And where do you store your ladder?

When I first set out with the cargo box, I positioned it at the back of the van (helps with lifting top too -- if applicable) and to access the box I would either stand on the wheel, or open the sliding door and stand off the rear bench (shoes off of course!). I got old fast doing that -- and now I have a simple 3-step ladder that I take with me to make me feel even shorter.  :-[

Folds up nice, easily slips in under the rear platform.

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 02:17:02 pm »
Time to pull out a drill and do this to ours. I like GoWesty. Everything I have gotten from them has been nice. What I didn't expect was for them to be the cheapest! They want $350 for their kit. That's cheaper than REI, Rack Attack, etc. I just got an email back saying their kit includes 78" bars and 72" tracks. 72" tracks is LONG. Anyone used a rail that long?

I guess I need to put a tape measure on the top when I get home tonight.....

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2015, 09:37:05 am »
I had a few questions about my rack rig via PM and ok'd with asker to post here in case others may benefit.

1) could you please help me by pointing out exactly which kits you purchased from yakima? bar lengths etc.

I went with 60"" tracks with 'capnuts.'  https://www.yakima.com/60-tracks-w-capnut-hardware

Two things to consider, hardware and track length.  Yakima offers 'capnuts' and 'plusnuts.'   Use capnuts with fiberglass tops like our Westy's.  The plus nuts are expanding hardware used when you can not access the bolt from underside - they are very similar in concept to 'rivnuts' and work if you are mounting into a sheet metal roof as I did on my Pathfinder back in the 90s.

Yakima offers 42", 54" and 60" track lengths.  I went with two 60" kits but you could probably save some money by ordering a shorter size based on overall length - I think I'm close to 8' all in.

Bar length on my set up is 78".  https://www.yakima.com/78-crossbar-pair-2-crossbars  Yakima 48" 58" & 66" lengths as well - depending on your needs.  They also have an 86" length but these are about twice the price and mass as the 78".  I've had my 78" loaded up with a couple hundred lbs of boats on washboard with no bending so good enough for my needs.

2) what did you choose as your span 48" ?

I went with a wide a foot print as our tops allow - didn't measure this but you need to ensure hardware doesn't encroach on edges of top where you might not have space to fasten capnuts.

3) when you say miter...did you do a 45deg so it overlaps? or on diagonal as you look down on it?

I mitered at 45 degrees with front track overlapping top of bottom track - makes for a tight seam!

4) I can see about how far you went forward with bars..as I se forward through bolts for top...how far from back? was this a good choice? no interference with lift hatch?

No interference with hatch - I am as far back as possible - make careful note not to exceed your access from underside of pop top.  Similar to laying out the width, the underside is both shorter and more narrow than what you see from the top (talking about our pop top as it's constructed in multiple layers.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:13:32 am by Suthernvanman »

Offline Farther

• Rosie, the Corgi, is my copilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2015, 11:38:55 am »

Folds up nice, easily slips in under the rear platform.
Although I have a Winnebago, I use the two step version of that Cosco step ladder.  Both the two and three step are available at Walmart for under $20 the last time I checked.  I also use the two step to get me in the upper bed as I am 5'8" on a good day.
Thanks,
~Farther

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2015, 06:23:14 am »
One issue I've created with all the gear up top is overload on the pop top safety strut.  Accidentally disengaging the safety lock with a full load is simply a matter of rolling over in your sleep - the struts themselves are no longer capable of more than an assist.

I decided to add a second locking strut and ordered one from GoWesty.  When I took it out to the van it was far too long.  I sent GW tech a note and they advised it may need to be cut down.  So measuring it against stock I ended up cutting down the locking tube by 2" 

Additionally I've added a very simple backup for each locking strut - a flat overhand jam knot on a loop - it's always right there when you need it.  Sleep ez.

That does not fit:

Elevated so the shaft had room to drop down then multiple passes with the radial arm.  This can also be done with band saw or....

Using utility cord to set up compression for installation.  You've got to guess for stretch - took a few times to get that right. 

Two loops both set around the strut, use the large diameter tube for gripping, compress and slip the top loop over.

Jam knot as additional layer of protection - I was using this and front mtn bike wheel prior to adding 2nd strut!

Offline boostin20v

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2016, 04:04:34 pm »
Anyone used Thule tracks?

Offline boostin20v

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2016, 02:05:21 pm »
Couple of notes - as Cole pointed out the Yakima supplied track bolts are too short.  I believe they are fine thread and I had a hard time locating via Home Depot / Ace so bought them online.

Anyone have measurements for the bolts used to replace the provided ones? 

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2016, 06:38:04 pm »
Anyone have measurements for the bolts used to replace the provided ones?

I'm pretty sure we have been using 1..25" or 1.5". They are definitely longer than you expect they should be.
Cole

Offline boostin20v

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2016, 09:10:57 am »
Thanks.  I ended up using 1.5" for the 4 middle bolts and 1.75" for the ends due to the extra end caps (and not having had enough 1.5" bolts! :P ).

Offline SWSL

• Rubber tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2017, 05:22:16 pm »
I had a few questions about my rack rig via PM and ok'd with asker to post here in case others may benefit.

Hi.  Old thread, but good to keep it all in one place.  What basket are you using?  The Yakimas are $$$ but don't want a cheap rust prone knock-off either.   Yours looks simple and light.

Also what box?  I like your setup and am doing the same.  Not cheap, but prime real estate never is!
On the road or at the beach

Offline SWSL

• Rubber tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2017, 11:52:52 am »
Hi.  Old thread, but good to keep it all in one place.  What basket are you using?  The Yakimas are $$$ but don't want a cheap rust prone knock-off either.   Yours looks simple and light.

Also what box?  I like your setup and am doing the same.  Not cheap, but prime real estate never is!

Just to keep all the info visible to everybody,  I pm'd Southernvanman and this was his response: 
I'm happy with the rack - it's perfect for me.  I used the Yakima "Basketcase" and "Rocket Box Pro" (either the 12 or the 14, probably the 14 but don't recall.) 
On the road or at the beach