Offline boostin20v

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Testing/Troubleshooting Weekender Cooler
« on: May 05, 2016, 03:40:42 pm »
I'm having a hard time searching for threads specific to the cooler found OE in the weekender models, most threads about coolers are about people looking for non OE solutions.

I bought a '01 recently and was told the cooler had some issues.  I've found where it plugs in...and that there is a toggle switch on the rear of the unit but I know nothing else as to what expectation I should have for cooling speed, sounds it would make under normal operating conditions, etc.

What have others tested or troubleshot with the OE cooler?  I really like that the cooler is tucked away and doesn't take up additional floor space or require removal of the jump seat so fixing it or replacing it with something that would fit under the seat seems ideal.

thanks!

Re: Testing/Troubleshooting Weekender Cooler
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 08:23:57 pm »
I've never tinkered with mine so can't offer personal experience on that front. There is this thread at VWVortex where people were talking about improvements and the like which you may find useful: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7363521-Improving-the-Weekender-cooler

The cooler isn't super cold. I sometimes put a sealable dry bag (like you'd use kayaking) of ice in it to help keep it cool. Don't put ice in directly because melting ice can damage the motor in the rear of the box.

I found I have a pdf about the Kuhlbox that describes the very basics. I'll try to attach that here.

Offline IdeaNerd

• View Profile
Re: Testing/Troubleshooting Weekender Cooler
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 03:31:23 pm »
We didn't know if ours worked either when we bought it. We ended up testing it out while bringing it home, with restaurant leftovers overnight in a fairly warm part of California. At that time, I wasn't even 100% certain the van had two batteries/electrical systems, so it felt a little risky.  ???

I was surprised by how quiet it was, and though it doesn't get "super cold," I'd heard it was "just a cooler" so didn't think it would get very cool at all. It was plenty cold for the task at hand, and ran all night without problem. :)  It's not "instantly cold" though.

Have you tested it by, say, putting a bottle of ambient-temperature water in it and leaving it on for a while? Maybe a second bottle in the open part of the van, and compare the temperatures of each after a few hours?