Offline Grandpa Rick

• Sometimes I miss my Syncro Westy...
    • View Profile
Seized torsion bar nut
« on: September 26, 2017, 07:56:44 pm »
Hoping Cole can weigh in on this.  Right side nut on the torsion bar is seized.  Tried PB Blaster, a torch, air impact wrench.  Noting moving.  Left side is fine.  Jacked van up on stands and gave it 2 hours of my life.  Trying to level the van.  Front is 2" lower than the front.  Want to raise the front a little over an inch. 

Has anyone had to remove and replace the torsion bar bolt?  I suspect I can get a new one in OK but I'm not sure I'll have enough room in there to get a new one into the torsion bar and into place in it's notch in the frame. 

Thanks for your help on this. 
Sometimes I miss my Syncro Westy.

Offline my_bmw_sucks

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: Seized torsion bar nut
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 10:09:31 am »
This happened to me too. The nut was seized and as I tried to loosen the bolt rotated out of its mount. Ended up cutting the bolt in two with an angle grinder and replacing both the nut and bolt; very easy to do. The parts were ordered from my local dealer without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Grandpa Rick

• Sometimes I miss my Syncro Westy...
    • View Profile
Re: Seized torsion bar nut
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 09:04:13 am »
This happened to me too. The nut was seized and as I tried to loosen the bolt rotated out of its mount. Ended up cutting the bolt in two with an angle grinder and replacing both the nut and bolt; very easy to do. The parts were ordered from my local dealer without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.  I think this is my route.  GW has a good used one for me for $40 plus I need a new nut.  Not bad.  Plus it will allow me to do the rest of the front end work I need to do before I get the van aligned. 
Sometimes I miss my Syncro Westy.