Offline Fresh

• View Profile
Sliding Door Doesn't Want To Close In Colder Temps
« on: August 15, 2015, 01:00:44 pm »
My sliding door doesn't want to close sometimes when the temperature is "colder".  Anybody else have any experience with this?  If so any solutions to this problem?  Thanks a lot.

Re: Sliding Door Doesn't Want To Close In Colder Temps
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 12:06:51 am »
The tracks probably could use a good cleaning and lube.

Justin

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI
Justin
2000 EVW 1.9l TDI 5spd Syncro

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 08:09:07 am »
I've had a couple of vans do this. Usually only in temps below freezing.

Seems that the lube on the latch on the back of the door it s bit to thick and sticky when cold. Clean the rear latch mechanism and put now fresh lube on it.  Motorcycle chain lube or Wd-40 seems to work well in the lower temps.
Cole

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 07:17:20 pm »
If the handle sticks in when it freezes remove the handle and load the pivot and spring with white lithium  grease. Also trim back the gasket around the spring a bit.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:22:52 pm by robinson1509 »

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 08:19:25 am »
This has been one of the bugs in Eurovans for years. Some people say grease & cleaning work others have adjusted the striker plates. I have done both with limited success and ended up taking it to a body shop where they made some minor adjustments to, I think, the door position. It has sorta worked in that it now closes during winter months without having to slam it multiple times every time. Now every so often it will not shut without a good slam but not as often as before.
Spencer