Offline Marc

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Passenger-area cabin temperature (while camping, top not popped)
« on: November 25, 2015, 10:49:39 am »
Hi EV, I have a few questions around our 2002 Eurovan Weekender:

1. With temps cooling down, I bought the full window insulation set form GoWesty. I think those helped this past weekend, but I feel the passenger area floor gets really cold (the pop-top is down), perhaps from poor insulation/seals around sliding door. I’ve considered piling wool blankets, or drape wool blankets where the bottom bed starts, as quick fixes. Has anyone has similar experience and can offer their approach to help warm this area?

2. We have been using a small Honeywell HCE100R Heat Bud Ceramic Heater to help supplement the cabin temp (when external power is available) but I think it’s too small for the job. Can anyone recommend a small, safe portable heater they really like?

Best regards,

Marc
marc.oettinger@berkeley.edu

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger-area cabin temperature (while camping, top not popped)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 11:57:07 am »
Surprised there hasn't been much movement on this topic.

The later Eurovans like yours at least have some insulation in them. The earlier ones don't have any.

But there are areas that can be improved.

The front doors have almost nothing in them, the slider and rear hatch have nothing in them.

There are several good options to fill these voids.

My favorite so far is recycled cotton insulation.

This also sound insulates the van for a quieter on road ride and a nicer sleeping area.

The floor is always going to be pretty cold.

Adding a propane heater is probably your best option for additional heat with the van off. Either a portable style (Mr. Buddy) or a built in style like a Propex.

I've insulated several Eurovans and it helps keep the heat you have longer but it's not enough all by itself.

Cole

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
Re: Passenger-area cabin temperature (while camping, top not popped)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:31:10 am »
There may be an eberspracher that you can buy from Europe, but I'm not sure how it would integrate with the vr6, but I bet an rv conversion shop can help install it
The t4 guys have these installed all the time in the eu. 

...tapped out with just a thumb