Offline Micah

• View Profile
Sliding door won't latch when cold
« on: January 11, 2016, 08:09:59 am »
Hi all, I have a recurring problem on both my '99 and '02 EV's. When the weather gets cold (this morning it was about 10 deg. F) It is really difficult to get the sliding door to shut. On my '99 I have discovered I can lock and unlock - then shut the door ( I repeat this process until the door catches shut.) On my '02 when I tried this I can't hear the actuator in the sliding door, and it doesn't seem to work as well.

Any thoughts on a fix for this, and why it is temperature related? (is the electric actuator simply too cold to work, and is there a way to bypass to shut the door if so?)

Thanks,

Micah

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
Re: Sliding door won't latch when cold
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 08:24:32 am »

On my '01 EVC when I first got it the sliding door was very stubborn. Had to slam it really hard to make it latch.  Turned out it was out of alignment and was bouncing back instead of sliding into proper seating position. Had to adjust it, and it works fine since then.

-albertr

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 12:26:04 pm »
I've seen that problem a couple of times here in Colorado.

I've "cleaned" the latch out with WD-40. Seems the thicker greases get really sticky when they get really cold.

Most recently I've had good luck with using chain lube!
Cole

Offline Micah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 09:23:32 am »
Thanks to Albertr and Cole - I've checked the screws and latches, cleaned with WD-40 and re-lubed with some lithium grease - on both vans. It seems to have done the trick  :D