Offline CousinSven

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
If you're like me, you just brought home your new Eurovan and realized that the seller only gave you one key fob and probably kept the other in a drawer somewhere as a keepsake of some long lost love.  Weird.

The good news is you have a key.  The bad news is that if your EV is newer than 1997, that key is the only thing that will move that 5,000 lb. Wildebeest blocking everyone at the end of your driveway.  You are one misplaced key away from disaster.

Volkswagen of America discontinued security keys for many Eurovans as of January 2013.  I've called about a dozen dealers nationally, and they've all told me there are "None in US stock, this part has become obsolete."  To consider a part obsolete implies there is something newer and better that replaces it, but there is no superseded part number for this.  If you have a two-button key fob like mine, they have become almost impossible to find.   

I was quoted $299 for this key at the local Volkswagen dealership in Cerritos last weekend.  Programming was another $159 per key.  No discounts if you ordered multiple keys.  I live in Southern California and I'm used to getting ridiculous quotes and poor service.  I told them the security key was originally $80 MSRP, and he said "Well good luck finding one."  I told him "Thanks, but no thanks" and left the parts counter.

Your key assembly should have a switchblade action, two buttons, and a pointed key end.  These key types are called 'AH' series keys and came on all Eurovans.  The transmitters which locked and unlocked the doors ran at 315mhz and 433mhz depending on the year of your car.  2001 was a transitional year.  Finally and most importantly, the key contains a Seimens rfid chip which allows the car to recognize the key and start the engine.

This chip is part of a transponder / immobilizer system.  Your Eurovan needs to recognize the rfid chip to start.  Once a chip has been written, it belongs to the car, it cannot be re-written.  You cannot reuse an rfid chip, it's one and done.

In order to assess what key you have, I recommend separating the two halves of the key fob, they pull apart with some effort.  Find a good YouTube video, there are several that take you through it step by step.

Once you've pulled the key assembly apart you will have two sides to your security key. One side has the remote transmitter, and the other side contains the key and rfid chip.  Once you pull away the transmitter side, you will see a range of text on the opposite side of the buttons.  This should have a ten digit part number at the top of it.  More importantly, it will show what frequency the transmitter uses, this is in very small type.  Mine used a 315 MHz frequency to lock and unlock the doors.

Thankfully, while the assembly has been discontinued, VW still carries the key with rfid.

STEP 1:  Start looking on eBay for transmitters.  These can be reprogrammed to operate the locks of your car, as long as you have a working security key.  If you look on eBay, many sellers will offer the cases only with no pcb and a blank sidewinder style key.  Other seller's list used remotes.  My advice is look for remotes with working internals that share the same frequency details as your own.  I purchased two this way.

STEP 2:  Blank keys with rfid chips are still available through Volkswagen of America, part number 7D0837246DROH.  These apply to my 2001, check with your dealer if it applies to your vehicle.  Troy at 1stVWparts.com advised that with a VIN, you can even purchase pre-cut keys (these run quite a bit more at about $67) but then you don't have the extra expense of having to pay the dealer to cut a key.

Once you get these parts, you will still need to have the van programmed to recognize the rfid chip inside the key.  The dealer may be reluctant to do this unless they sell you their part.  I recommend if you are going to have the dealer do this, buy the key half at the dealer. 

An alternative is to find a skilled mobile locksmith in your area who is familiar with VW security systems that can program the van to recognize the key, and then purchase the part through one of the big discount VW parts guys (1stVWparts, VWparts, VWpartscenter, VolkswagenPartsAmerica, etc.). Based on my experience, this way may save you some money.

For more details about VW remote matching and rfid chip vehicle programming, go to: http://www.sidewinderkey.com

Click on the Eurovan Page to learn more about the Eurovan security keys, years and application.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 01:44:32 am by CousinSven »

Offline PeterHandscope

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: Eurovan Security Keys - Discontinued by Volkswagen of America
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 06:07:55 am »
A locksmith doesn't have the software to program VW keys, so you can't rely on mobile locksmith experts for getting the Eurovan keys.

Offline paulg

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 07:21:56 am »
That is not true anymore.   Aftermarket tools are very sophisticated now.  A competent Automotive Locksmith should be able to cut and program Eurovan keys/fobs, and even newer VWs with even more complicated security systems. 

You should be able to find an Automotive Locksmith near you on Yelp or Google.  Just ask appropriate questions before making an appointment.  i.e. "Have you done a Eurovan before?, If you're not successful do I have to pay anything?" etc.

Offline JaylenBrown

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 07:47:30 am »
That is not true anymore.   Aftermarket tools are very sophisticated now.  A competent Automotive Locksmith should be able to cut and program Eurovan keys/fobs, and even newer VWs with even more complicated security systems. 

You should be able to find an Automotive Locksmith near you on Yelp or Google.  Just ask appropriate questions before making an appointment.  i.e. "Have you done a Eurovan before?, If you're not successful do I have to pay anything?" etc.

Yelp or Google, you can use it both, there you will find so many locksmith companies that are available to provide the immediate support for your lock and key problems.

Offline CarlAnderson

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 07:57:15 am »
VW remote isn't at all easy to make it that's why i always hire locksmith silver spring to make new remote fob.