Offline Powdermonkey

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
BEW into 2002 Weekender
« on: November 18, 2016, 10:57:42 pm »
Yes, I'm a little insane  :o.  My goal is to build a manual transmission (4motion if possible!) TDI Eurovan for camping and road trips from parts that are accessible in the US as much as possible.  This will make findings replacement parts and spares potentially easier and much more tolerable than having to pay for and wait for shipping from Europe or the rest of the world.

I found a 2004 Passat with the 134bhp BHW motor that had a busted transmission and was able to get the whole car for about what used motors alone were going for around me so I jumped on it.  The motor ran well, and I was able to ride around the block once I got it home on the flat roads.  I just finished doing the balance shaft delete procedure and changed the water pump and timing belt, waiting on some parts from the BEW (1.9 PD in the jetta/golf/beetle) to remount the accessories on the front of the motor since the passat has the AC compressor on the back.  I also found a used 02m from an Audi TT that I'm having an adapter plate made so I can clock to motor to the correct orientation and still use the quattro/4motion transfer box eventually.  I still need to reorient my oil pickup tube and I've got a steel oil pan on the way to notch out as necessary with the new motor orientation.  The cars have the motors at -15* towards the firewall and the 4 cylinder vans have the motors mounted at +27* which comes out to 42* difference in mounting angle.  Unless I can figure out a smooth way to overlap the bolt holes it looks like I'm going to have to rotate a few more degrees forward to 35*, or about 50* total, to properly clear the gearbox bolt holes and give enough material for the new block mounting points. I think the VR6 motors are mounted at 34-35* forward, so I'm not so worried about the angle.  Some of the Vanagon swaps have TDIs mounted at 50* from vertical and they run well.  And based on eyeballing some of the euro T4 and T5 transmissions it looks like I'm going for about the same mounting angle that they come with on the 02B/D/G/Z gearboxes.  I have an uprated southbend clutch and a 240mm flywheel that will fit in the 02m bellhousing nicely.

I'm not sure what the intake side will be yet, but post compressor wheel I'll use custom piping to go out front to a Sprinter FMIC and the back on the driver's side to the intake.  Downpipe is going to have to be a custom job since the turbo exhausts on the driver side, but I think a U bend to mate up with the O2 sensor section and flexpipe back into the van's exhaust will work nicely.  I think that some of the Volvos used a set of slim line fans that I may have to try out if space becomes an issue with the stock radiator fans as well. 

There are some guys on the UK T4 site that managed to swap an 02m into their T4s with the 1.8t motors, I haven't been able to find anyone that has done it with a TDI yet.  At this point I'm going through the wiring diagrams to figure out what can stay and what can go, but I have the entire Passat harness which makes things nice.  I think I'll be able to swap over the Passat cluster and use the immo deleted ECU with a tune, likely from Malone as they are one of the only tuners I've found that can convert the BHW ECU to manual.  The only thing I'm still not sure of with the ECU wiring will be the ABS, I'm not sure if I'll be able to use the van's ABS controller/ECU or if I'll have to use the Passat one and swap it over onto the van's ABS pump.  I'm going to swap over the wiper and turn signal stalks from the Passat to be able to use the MFI on the Passat cluster and hopefully will make using CC easier.  We shall see.  I've been looking at the Malone stage 1.5 or stage 2 tune for 150-160ish bhp and 250-290lbft of torque, and I want to use the dynamic EGR feature they have.  I like the idea of keeping the environmental features intact as well as keeping the EGR cooler for faster heating up when it's cold.   

I think I'm going to pick up a set of 5 speed axles from a 95 eurovan since they are the same length and make an adapter for the passenger side of the gearbox to extend out to the passenger side axle.  I may be able to cannibalise the VR6 intermediate shaft for this since it will have a mount already on it.  Not sure yet.  I've got the TT shift box and an extension on the shifter so the cable shifter should work nicely.  It reportedly mounts fairly easily in the tunnel once you drop the gas tank, you just have to drill a few mounting holes into the floor.  Speaking of which, I'm hoping the passat lift pump and fuel pump will work in the Eurovan tank and I'll just have to redo the soft lines for diesel compatible ones. I haven't looked much into this yet, I suspect I'll be tackling it once I get to it.  There are a few hurdles to clear first.   

Yes, I'm insane.  But I'm excited about the van when it gets to the running stage.  Updates to follow... Questions and thoughts are welcome.

Re: BEW into 2002 Weekender
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 08:49:09 am »
No doubt, your insanity is rampant.  BTW, the 4cyl PD eng was a factory option in the T5 in Germany. Even had a bi-turbo high output option!  So there may be some parts available in the euro VAG system that may prove helpful.

I wish you much luck and a good helping of serendipity in this project.

Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Justin
2000 EVW 1.9l TDI 5spd Syncro

Offline Powdermonkey

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 09:27:24 am »
No doubt, your insanity is rampant.  BTW, the 4cyl PD eng was a factory option in the T5 in Germany. Even had a bi-turbo high output option!  So there may be some parts available in the euro VAG system that may prove helpful.

I wish you much luck and a good helping of serendipity in this project.

Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truth.  Honestly, I've been waiting a month to find someone that can even LOOK at my drawings and make me an adapter plate.  Everyone I speak with is too busy or just has no desire to hear me out.  KEP in CA finally is someone I found that may be able to help out, we shall see.  I've been looking at the T5 gearboxes too since some of them appear to be able to mount up to the motor, but they are still $$$$.  I like their stub shaft axle setup a little better though.  At least there will be some options still around.

I'm hoping to have this thing mounted and running in the next month, It'll likely be January though. 

I'm right up the road from you, Justin, I live in Salem.  I'll have to swing by the shop if I can ever get things sorted out on my end. 

-Ryan

Offline Phaeton

• Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 10:53:10 am »
Truth.  Honestly, I've been waiting a month to find someone that can even LOOK at my drawings and make me an adapter plate.  Everyone I speak with is too busy or just has no desire to hear me out.  KEP in CA finally is someone I found that may be able to help out, we shall see.  I've been looking at the T5 gearboxes too since some of them appear to be able to mount up to the motor, but they are still $$$$.  I like their stub shaft axle setup a little better though.  At least there will be some options still around.

I'm hoping to have this thing mounted and running in the next month, It'll likely be January though. 

I'm right up the road from you, Justin, I live in Salem.  I'll have to swing by the shop if I can ever get things sorted out on my end. 

-Ryan

Any chance any of the modern automatics or DSG boxes working in the T4 with the VR6?

Offline Powdermonkey

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 10:31:29 am »
Any chance any of the modern automatics or DSG boxes working in the T4 with the VR6?

The bellhousing pattern for the motors should be the same. The biggest concern would be about the electrical control and integration via can-bus that you would need to get it to work correctly. This is why manual swaps are inherently easier, you just have to get the motor to run, you don't have to worry about the gearbox talking to it as well.

The other physical issue you will run in to is the actual shape of the gearbox, the mounting points and the different axle system. The new transporter gearboxes use a splined stub shaft that sticks out an inch or two from the gearbox instead of the drive flanges and has an axle that the stub shaft inserts into. Still with a CV and ABS ring on the end. But the newer T5 and 6 vans have a different shape of the out splined connection at the hub than our T4s do. I'm attempting to get some of the T5 axles to see if the inner CV joints will swap over to the T4 axles shafts or the outer T4 joints over to the T5 shafts to make sure you can use the T4 hubs with a franken axle to make it work. The real question will be if the star pieces in the CV joint that slides on the shaft is the same size and spline count. Stay tuned, I'll update more when I know. From a guru or from trial and error.

Offline Phaeton

• Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 03:13:14 am »
The bellhousing pattern for the motors should be the same. The biggest concern would be about the electrical control and integration via can-bus that you would need to get it to work correctly. This is why manual swaps are inherently easier, you just have to get the motor to run, you don't have to worry about the gearbox talking to it as well.

The other physical issue you will run in to is the actual shape of the gearbox, the mounting points and the different axle system. The new transporter gearboxes use a splined stub shaft that sticks out an inch or two from the gearbox instead of the drive flanges and has an axle that the stub shaft inserts into. Still with a CV and ABS ring on the end. But the newer T5 and 6 vans have a different shape of the out splined connection at the hub than our T4s do. I'm attempting to get some of the T5 axles to see if the inner CV joints will swap over to the T4 axles shafts or the outer T4 joints over to the T5 shafts to make sure you can use the T4 hubs with a franken axle to make it work. The real question will be if the star pieces in the CV joint that slides on the shaft is the same size and spline count. Stay tuned, I'll update more when I know. From a guru or from trial and error.

Glad to know that someone is working on the problem. I might be interested in swapping from the 4 speed auto to something more modern (assuming its not more problematic). I wanted to go to the 5 or modified 6 speed manual gearbox for the 2001 VR6 that we have, but it seems like the gearbox has issues working with the ESP system. Is it possible to get MK60 ESP system to replace the existing module? I've read about people retrofitting the MK60 (which I believe is in the VW MK5 and later BMW e46 cars) in the e36 and early e46 cars; I'm curious if its possible to get it to work in the van.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:21:15 am by Phaeton »

Offline Powdermonkey

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 02:22:08 am »
Glad to know that someone is working on the problem. I might be interested in swapping from the 4 speed auto to something more modern (assuming its not more problematic). I wanted to go to the 5 or modified 6 speed manual gearbox for the 2001 VR6 that we have, but it seems like the gearbox has issues working with the ESP system. Is it possible to get MK60 ESP system to replace the existing module? I've read about people retrofitting the MK60 (which I believe is in the VW MK5 and later BMW e46 cars) in the e36 and early e46 cars; I'm curious if its possible to get it to work in the van.

I've got the motor in/hanging on its own motor mounts now, and I just finished taking apart the Passat BHW wiring harness.  I've got some inner T5 CV joints coming from Poland, supposedly ::), and I'm hoping that they will be able to get me started on the axles.  I'm still mired deep in the wiring nonsense right now, but I think I'll be able to swap the Passat's ABS pump/computer in place of the EV one so the ECU accepts it.  And I'll have to pare down a bunch of the wires since the EV ESP controller/ABS computer is 88 pins vs the 42ish for the Passat.  Yay for wiring diagrams. 

One thing I didn't count on is the shift box I got from the Audi TT has the same left/right cable movement, but the fore/aft movement is reversed on the T5 box.  I can't decide if I want to make a small level system at the gearbox end to reverse the current fore/aft throw, or if I want to get a shifter from a T5 and try to retrofit it in.  The T5 shifters are mounted on the dash though, and I'm not so keen on the idea of having to make a new console for it to fit. 

I was able to also swap over the in tank lift pump from the Passat after dropping/draining the EV tank.  I'll be interested to see how it fits/works, the EV pump is a slightly different design that the Passat's is, and the float arm is on a different side.  I think I've been able to rotate it around and adjust it appropriately, but I won't know until I'm able to run a few tanks of diesel through and calculate mileages.  I decided to cut a small access hatch in the carpet though so it will be fairly easy to access the lift pump in the future.  I plan on getting some rubber mat to cover the carpet up front anyways, so I'm not worried about the two cuts in the carpet. 

Dang, so much still left to do, but I feel like I've made a ton of progress this past week with just the tank and wiring.  I'm hoping that once the wiring gets sorted, the rest will just start falling into place. 

Some messy pictures from my 1.5 car garage, pardon the disaster esque look of the place.   :-X

Firewall clearance.  I'm going to have to reposition the turbo vacuum acuator slightly to clear the fire wall.  I didn't want to use the BFH too much, but I bet I could have made it fit. 

Swapped the BHW exhaust manifold for one from a B4 passat.  Lost the EGT port on the BHW manifold, but I think I've got it figured out how to get it back inline.  I had to make an adapter plate to spin the turbo about 30* too since it was at a different angle in the Passat.  Here is the Passat exhaust manifold, you can see how the turbo is angled back to fit the starter and AC compressor on that side of the engine in the longitudinal configuration.

Here are the two fuel pumps side by side, the Passat pump doesn't have the floating top section and doesn't need the locking ring on the bottom of the tank either.  But since the EV tank is slightly angled under the lift pump hole I couldn't get the Passat's pump to spin all the way around to where I wanted it for the fuel level float.  We'll see how off it actually is. 

Next time I don't even think I'll need to take the E-brake cover off. 

And the beginning of the mess...

Just to try and clean up the floor a little all the wiring for the engine plugs is laying up here now.  I think I'll have connections from the EV and can get rid of the Passat side for a lot of these guys.  Plus I can get rid of all the VR6 side of the wiring once I figure out what is needed and what isn't.  I'm going to try and use the EV fuse block, I haven't quite figured out where I am going to put all the relays for the TDI yet.  But I just went through and disconnected everything that was hooked up in the engine compartment and went through the firewall.  It makes it kind of a mess for now, but once I'm able to weed through/out the things like the lights and wipers, HVAC and double connections I should be good to go.  I have the entire CANBUS wiring for the Passat as well, but the EV has a much neater/nicer system with the block that all the CANBUS cables connect into on the right side of the fuse block.  They're all just factory soldered/sealed in the Passat.  Bush league, ha.

So anyways, onward and upward.  I think once I'm able to get power back to the ECU and can start pruning pieces out of the EV wiring harness that aren't needed I'll feel better about all of this. 

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 02:30:59 pm by Powdermonkey »

Offline JoshWa

• Wrench fumbler
    • View Profile
    • TDI conversion
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 09:16:59 am »
Any new updates on this?  What did you use for mounting on the passenger side?