Offline jackjtr

• View Profile
Some Wiring Questions
« on: February 10, 2018, 11:42:06 am »
Alright... I'm working on the last bits of wiring for my 1Z swap in my 02 MV, and a few confusing challenges have arised.

Firstly, I'm trying to get power to my cluster. I was really excited to use the B4 cluster for this swap, for both the looks and simplicity. E/2 and D/8 are both jumpered at KL15 at the top of the fusebox, and U2/1 has been relocated to U1/4.

With ignition off, the LCDs are on, but they die once ignition is on. I even took U2/1, added a single connector to it, and plugged it directly into KL15, which I know for a fact is getting 12v with ignition on. Still a dead cluster. I unplugged E/2 from KL15 and plugged the VR6 cluster back in.

The LCDs worked with the ignition on and off, but I ended up burning a large segment of the circut board, and I'm still trying to find the reason for that. I couldn't get the backlight to work either. Crossing my fingers I haven't burnt up two clusters at this point.

Secondly, I'm having an issue with my brake lights. Originally, an 02 EV uses the MK4-style 4-pin brake pedal switch, in which I cannot find the original connector for (I believe it's on the VR6 harness). I used pins E/3 and 4 with the Passat's switch and connector, but I'm still not getting anything.

Hopefully you see this, Justin! Any advice is greatly appreciated!
2002 EVMV TDI, Mercedes of the 60s-80s, Movie Biz

Offline jackjtr

• View Profile
Re: Some Wiring Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 03:09:32 pm »
I still haven't found anything that could have caused the burned segment. For the record, it was Pin 7 on the blue 32 pin cluster connector, which is U2/13, the "sender ground" or gauge ground. Cluster was working fine with the VR.

The burned segment is on the back of the cluster board and only heated up a section of the back segment, despite there being other segments throughout the board on both sides.

Also for the record: The only things that worked on the cluster were the two LCD displays (and the smoke machine). Not a single light came on, nor did any of the gauges move. Not a millimeter.

I've been at diagnosing this for over a week and haven't found a single thing amiss.

Anyone on here running a blue cluster in their 1Z or AHU conversion? Thanks.

Offline jackjtr

• View Profile
Re: Some Wiring Questions
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 05:52:21 pm »
Came to the conclusion that the 2002 cluster recieves many of its signals through the Can Bus, and was probably not compatible at all with the 1Z harness.

I noticed I hadn't connected the long fused positive line to the alternator or the block ground near the transmission. I don't have the faintest idea as to why this happened, but I tried the B4 cluster again, and it worked fine. Instead of getting power from U1/4, it is getting it through KL15 at the top of the box. All fuctions are working as far as I can tell (engine hasn't been run yet), including the fuel sending unit.

I want to figure out a solution to the ABS and airbag lights. I am considering drilling out the two warning light blanks on the cluster and adding matching LEDs, but I'm not sure if the warning signal is over CAN or not.