Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
VR6 engine oil cooler for EV?
« on: August 15, 2021, 12:09:17 pm »
Does anyone know any options for the subject? Oil filter adapter plate for oil cooler hookup? Anything?

I think VR6 AXK (24 valves) runs hot and I'm concerned with the high temp in the engine compartment . Will be adding some air intake to get more air pulled into the engine compartment (not sure whether it would help to lower the temp thou).

If anyone has any ideas on engine oil cooler for these vans, please let me know.
-albertr

Offline euro2003

• View Profile
Re: VR6 engine oil cooler for EV?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 05:44:42 pm »
Albertr
Do you have a Scangauge?  How hot are you running?  I have my scanguage on the left side of the dash near the speaker and have it monitor WTR  & TFT all the time the engine is running. (You must send it in (free) or program it to read transmission temp properly).  Anyhow mine typically runs WTR  (engine temp) 194 F and in heavy traffic can get up to about 201-3 F.  I have a 80 degree thermostat.  The transmission (TFT) runs typically about 154 F but in heavy traffic can go up to 199 F. (I have an external trans cooler).  In heavy traffic run your AC so as to turn on your radiator fan on high to bring them down. (Also for hills at slow speed or traffic lower your gear to 2 or 3rd. 
That should do it for both.
I have the 24v AXK engine.  If that doesn’t do it, especially for the engine, you may have other issues.
Hope that helps
Phil 2003 EV WE 297 kmiles
Phil
2003 EV WE

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
Re: VR6 engine oil cooler for EV?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 04:39:50 pm »
Thanks, Phil! I'm also using ScanGauge, and my coolant temp look similar (ATF temp is a bit lower most of the times, unless I'm in the city driving or in mountains). My concern is not the coolant temp per se, but rather the overall temp in the engine compartment. I don't have any hard data to present, but I hope to get a wireless thermometer installed there to measure the temp. I've noticed that everything there is very hot on touch, including the car battery, so I think it could benefit from the increased airflow, or motor oil cooler, or both.

-albertr