Interior Mods, Gadgets, or Additions
« on: June 08, 2015, 01:02:41 am »
New to the forum...although it looks like the forum is new too.  Good to see!

What kind of mods, gadgets or additions have you done to your Camper (or Weekender) to make it more workable?

I'm just buying a '95 Eurovan camper (tomorrow), and going to sell my '85 Vanagon weekender.  For the weekender I built a beautiful kitchen box (which I won't need in the new full camper), added a bench/drawer behind the passenger seat that the the box sits on, installed a second battery, made a front seat bed for my now 12 y.o. son.  I've been looking around for stuff people had built or modified on the interior of the Eurovan and apart from the GoWesty "Fridge elimination kit" I can't find a post showing a single homemade cabinet, shelf, alteration...anything!   :'(  With the Vanagon the is a plethora of things done to and with it.  I can't believe this is not true for Eurovans...we're the same creative group, aren't we?

So far, since I'll be leaving for a camping trip in 10 days, I'm looking to make a hammock for over the front seats before I go (that way the kids can sleep apart).  Here's a Vanagon idea on Samba that I like: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=381648&start=20  I just have to see if it'll work with the window configuration in the Eurovan.  If not, I'll just put a board across the front seats which is what I did for my Vanagon

Anyway, I'd love to see some pics of what you people have done.
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

Offline 42pvan

• View Profile
Re: Interior Mods, Gadgets, or Additions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 09:01:16 pm »
Welcome to the forum! You are right there are not many EVC modification threads out there. I have one in the "Show Off Your Projects" section of "Pictures and Tall Tales".  Briefly, these are the projects I took on in order of importance:
1) replace refrigerator (I choose a DC only version), also added drawer under new fridge.
1a) move indicator LEDs to new location and add DC power and USB outlets and little shelf above sink that Westies have.
2) replace house batteries to add capacity for new fridge
3) remove inverter and add good dual battery charger to charge both house and starter batteries
4) replace cheap rear cabinets that squeak when you roll over at night with aluminum and wood versions
5) replace footboard on rear seat that always seems to fall off and is utterly useless
6) Yet to do: fix main cabinet door so that there is some access to cabinet when bed is out.
7) love to replace floor with something like Cole has used

Some people have taken out the cover for the sink and stove but I'm not sure that is worth it yet. Also, adding LED lighting, maybe adding some storage on ceiling in back like a Westy. Lots to do!  So little time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 01:28:38 am »
Thanks for the comments 42!

I just picked up the Eurovan today and drove it from San Diego to L.A.  Drives great!  The previous owner replaced the long fluorescent light with LED lights and added one in the rear.  Some PO put in a gigantic amp in the closet (the thing has got to be 18" long) that's attached to 1" thick clear acrylic - don't know what they were thinking...but I hope they had it laying around, that stuff is costy.  The controls for the fridge have been disconnected and a new one has been put in a cabinet.  Don't know why.

Like you, one of my thoughts (but I'm going to live with it a bit first) is a cabinet under the bunk bed in the rear like in a vanagon.  Looking at it now it seems like it would be an easy install.

I also measured the width of the front, and a hanging hammock should work.  There's 5' between the doors and about 6 inches either side of the flat top of the window - that should allow for a 36" wide hammock max.  Probably go with about 32" wide.  We'll see.  I have a bolt of denim sitting around, the rest is cheap.

I'm off on the 18th for a camping trip, so I'll get a better feel for the EVC.  My Vanagon is a weekender, so this is my first try with a full camper.  My only concern is the smaller bed, my honey and I like to spread out a bit at night - we'll just have to get cozy (less fun with the kids sleeping around us).
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 10:09:10 am »
I have done quite a few interior and exterior modifications to my EVC - check out http://1705.net.

• Platform bed with drawer
  • New "food" cabinet
  • Upper shelf
  • "D" rings to hang things
  • Battery disconnect
  • etc
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:24:38 am by dsh1705 »
95 EVC
1705.net
Thanks to everyone I forget to thank!

Offline sdunn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 08:31:00 pm »
Pure Awesome dsh1705!  Thanks for the post.

Interestingly, on my 03 EV Weekender, i had absolutely no interest in modifications. Now that  I have "graduated" to my EVC, I love the act of 'dialing it in' I suppose because it is so much more of a 'toolkit' for camping, as opposed to a van with a couple of sleeper bunks.

Offline 42pvan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 12:21:43 am »
Great work dsh1705! I really like the extended food cabinet as well as the mini table.
Sdunn, I think a reason you want to modify your EVC while not messing with your Weekender, is that Winnebago did such a lousy job with the conversion. They used cheap parts wherever they could and it seems nothing is really well thought out except the layout which basically just follows what Westfalia did before. If I were to start over, I would take all the Winnebago stuff out and either redo it or replace it, including the pop top! I love my EVC but an just really disappointed with Winnebago!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 08:33:06 pm »
Love the work also dsh1705!   Really love the food cabinet - something like that is the next project!  The stock one is really small.  I looked into mine, but don't see how it's attached offhand.  How do you remove it? 

Also liked the little coffee shelf, that's a keeper as well.  I also noticed you have a curtain behind the front seats.  Is that aftermarket?

On a side note:
So I looked under the back bed/seat to check out the size of the storage box there, and instead was a solid black box.  Puzzled, I examined it and saw there was a speaker wire plug in the back.  A PO installed a ridiculous sound system (included giant amp in closet, wire that could be used for 220V, etc) and removed the under seat box and put in a huge subwoofer!  I found the receipt, it was a $1000 sound system in 2001.  I spent yesterday pulling out the subwoofer and building a box to replace it.  Storage is king!
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 09:24:31 pm »
You remove the cabinet by removing the aluminum face frame. Wish I had pictures of my disassembly, but was in a bit of a hurry (had to head to my daughter's wedding in Peru [Indiana]).

Curtains are custom made by my wife - should be some details on the site about that  - http://curtaintrax.com is where we got the parts. I can provide a detailed write-up (I think I can find it somewhere......)

Little-thought-out note about the storage area under the bed on the EVC - the vents on the driver's side of this area provide needed cooling for the horrible Magnetek charger and the ever-reliable Suburban furnace - and should not be blocked, or removed. The airflow for these devices is convection - input is through the vents, exhaust is through the vent above the water fill area.
95 EVC
1705.net

Offline sdunn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 09:29:08 pm »
42pvan - True - that pop-top (including tent, latching mechanism...especially the latching mechanism)  is really inferior to the westfalia.  I've been thinking about making my own tent, as mine has seen better days. My sewing machine can sew ballistic nylon, so I don't have a materials problem. The way the tent attaches to the roof and poptup looks very straightforward. Some day......;)

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 02:18:19 am »
Thanks dsh1705, the site for the curtain tracks is what I needed.  Do you remember which kind of track you used?  Other then that, it's a no-brainer.  In my old vanagon I made some little aluminum tabs with holes and attached them to either side behind the front seats so I could tie a rope with a curtain across.  Loved it, much handier then the curtain around the front window, plus my son slept on a board on the front seats so he had his own room.

I'll figure out the cabinet thing when I get it back from the shop (its in for fluid flush, tune-up...new car stuff).

Also, thanks for they tips on the under seat box.  It's already in, but plenty of space on either side.  It's only 22 1/2 inches wide - fits between the tracks.  I'll post some pics if anyone wants.
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 09:21:34 am »
42pvan - True - that pop-top (including tent, latching mechanism...especially the latching mechanism)  is really inferior to the westfalia.  I've been thinking about making my own tent, as mine has seen better days. My sewing machine can sew ballistic nylon, so I don't have a materials problem. The way the tent attaches to the roof and poptup looks very straightforward. Some day......;)

The pop-top fabric/design is quite good - the fabric is Sunforger Marine "Boat Shrunk" 100% Cotton Canvas 10 ounce - a fabric used by tent makers, as it is breathable, and is impregnated with water repellent. The 3 windows allow for great ventilation, and the ability to unzip the front screen to access what is stored in the luggage rack is very handy (like to access your storage box: http://1705.net/archives/104 )
95 EVC
1705.net

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 09:25:23 am »
Curtain items purchased from http://www.curtain-tracks.com:

RECMAR 3112 Plastic Curtain Track
RECMAR 3091 Snap Tape
RECMAR 3115 Curtain Track End Cap
RECMAR 3070 Snap Carrier 
95 EVC
1705.net

Offline trbowgn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 11:11:40 am »
Most of my mods have been to maximize storage and to keep things from moving around.  We have used various size broom clips to hold everthing from flashlights, lighters, awining accesories, etc.  You can get them that hold everything from 1/8" to 3" or probably even bigger.  We used one to hold a flashlight right above the slider so it is always there and the way I mounted it on the bulk head by the door we can aim it to become a porch light.  I will try to snap some pictures of the various hooks and clips we have used.  I have also mounted cargo nets in very places and am looking to add more. 
Kyle O.
95 EVC 5cyl 5spd

Offline sdunn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 10:38:09 am »
The pop-top fabric/design is quite good - the fabric is Sunforger Marine "Boat Shrunk" 100% Cotton Canvas 10 ounce - a fabric used by tent makers, as it is breathable, and is impregnated with water repellent. The 3 windows allow for great ventilation, and the ability to unzip the front screen to access what is stored in the luggage rack is very handy (like to access your storage box: http://1705.net/archives/104 )
The fabric does seem quite high quality. What I don't like (and would attempt to remedy) is how fussy it is to keep out of the way of the latches when you are lowering it (westfalia designed this much better, at least on the EV Weekender), and how mildew stains are very difficult to remove. I *think* what happened to mine is that the tent was lowered wet one or more times, not allowed to dry, and mildew set in, staining the front of it pretty well.

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 11:19:47 am »
Thanks David…that's exactly what I wanted!  Found your write-up on your site last night with all the info also.

trbowgn - good idea with the broom clips. I'll check them out.  I agree, maximizing storage is king in these cars!
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC