Offline BALDY

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: The ultimate tire and wheel guide thread!
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 08:26:08 am »
mercedes 7 x 16 steels et31 on my 95 syncro multivan, fitted with 215/70 16 bfg at's

cheers baldy
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:36:21 am by BALDY »
'95 Syncro Multivan 2.5 petrol Manual

Offline Snowshoer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2016, 04:01:09 am »
I just mounted some 225/60/16 Nokian WR G3 tires on et45 Audi wineglass wheels. I was worried about rubbing but they seem ok. The specs I found say the rim is 8". After mounting them I have a metallic grinding clunking noise in the front when I slow down. I discovered my passenger side outer tie rod was ripped. I don't know if the new tires/larger wheels caused this or not.
1999 Techno-Blue EV-Westy

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2016, 04:24:21 am »
I just mounted some 225/60/16 Nokian WR G3 tires on et45 Audi wineglass wheels. I was worried about rubbing but they seem ok. The specs I found say the rim is 8". After mounting them I have a metallic grinding clunking noise in the front when I slow down. I discovered my passenger side outer tie rod was ripped. I don't know if the new tires/larger wheels caused this or not.

I ran 8" wide wheels at et42 and it was tight at the tie rods. Et45 would be 3mm closer. Easy enough to look under the back of the wheels to see how the tie rod fits next to the tie rod end.

A 5mm spacer would put them at et40 and probably give you the needed room.

Most of the wheels people are using are 6.5-7.5" wide.
Cole

Offline Snowshoer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2016, 07:42:33 am »
Thanks Cole- I'll check closer into the clearances. Where would I find a 5mm spacer??

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2016, 08:17:06 am »
Honestly any Autoparts store will have a generic 5-7mm spacer. Or check ebay
Cole

Offline Snowshoer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2016, 03:23:55 pm »
I crawled under and checked it all out. It does not look at all like anything is touching the tie rod end.  I have bigger problems now: I had a severe vibration in the rear of van after I mounted the new tires. I took them back for a rebalance and tire person said the rim was bent slightly. He balanced it out and I put it on the right rear. Vibration is better but still there. Guess that's what I get for buying used rims.  Plus the new tires are really noisy. I am probably going to have to get another used rim.

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2016, 12:13:47 am »
mercedes 7 x 16 steels et31 on my 95 syncro multivan, fitted with 215/70 15 bfg at's

cheers baldy
Nice van baldy!
Did you get the steelies barreled wider?
Also where did you get that arch kit?
How much larger of a tire wheel combo will that arch kit let you run?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline BALDY

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2016, 08:40:16 am »
hi filmshoot, standard merc steels, not banded, wheel arch trims from here http://www.bluebird-type2.co.uk/t4%20exterior%20parts.htm , just screw/clip on, not much larger, it's very tight an the rear at that size. hth baldy
'95 Syncro Multivan 2.5 petrol Manual

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2016, 10:33:07 pm »
Thx
I'm trying to find arches that allow for larger tires

Inscribed with just two thumbs...

Offline grandmaester

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2016, 11:23:19 pm »
Found a set of 5 Audi 5x112 16x7 ET45's for an A6. "Champagne" style according to the ad. Would these work for a 95 EVC? I plan on lifting the rear 1.5" on drivers side and 1" on passenger side and then compensating with torsion bars in the front. I have no idea what I am doing though (just found the torsion bars btw, took an hour) so any advice is greatly appreciated...

Also, any tire recommendations? I was thinking the geolanders via my local discount tire.

Offline CARiD

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2016, 02:53:35 am »
Thanks Cole- I'll check closer into the clearances. Where would I find a 5mm spacer??
spacers will certainly work, but you will also need to get longer wheel bolts to hold the wheels properly. Also make sure the wheels wouldn't rub on the outer part. if you decide to go the spacer route you can check this tech article: The Trick Way To Determine What Size Wheel Spacer You Need
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 06:41:56 am by CARiD »

Offline Fishugly

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2016, 11:52:42 am »
Great thread!

I'm lifting my 95 Winnebago EVC with the Cavevan spacers and adding 16" wheels. I just bought 5 used steel VW wheels from a late model Jetta for $100.

I was hoping to run 235/60-16 tires......not because I know much about tires but rather due to that size being recommend on the Gowesty website.

The Jetta wheels I purchased stamped "ET50" and measure 7.5" wide from outside to outside. However, I don't know if this means they are a 7.5" wide wheel (6.5 is stamped on them and they measure 6.5" from inner lip to inner lip). The original wheels on the van are stamped "15x6" and "ET44".

So, my questions are: Are these wheels wide enough to keep it stable after lifting? And will the 235/60-16 tires fit on this wheel?

Lastly, a loaded EVC is a lot heavier than a Jetta. Will the Jetta wheels be strong enough?

(if it matters, 90% of the miles I put on this van are HWY....lots of mountain driving. The remaining 10% is on rougher gravel and dirt roads. HWY or dirt, I drive slower and easier than most everyone)

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2016, 12:16:32 pm »
These are 235/60/16s on those same wheels.

No lift on this van.

They will support your camper fine.

Cole

Offline Fishugly

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2016, 10:11:19 am »
Perfect! Thanks, Cole!

Would I gain enough extra handling stability to make it worth the effort and expense of adding spacers to push the wheels out a bit?

Also, I sort of like the idea of a narrower tire for less rolling resistance and road noise...say a a 215/65/16 rather than the wider 235/60/16. Again though, I have stability in the back of my mind while driving curvy mountain roads...so perhaps the 235/60/16s would be the better choice. Thoughts?

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2016, 10:14:46 am »
There really isn't a significant stability difference either way. We are talking a few mm here or there.
Cole