Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
General Discussion / T4 van buying advice
« Last post by Nerlaqub on July 25, 2020, 05:29:08 am »
I’m wondering if I should take a loan out to buy a Type 4 camper van. Seen an amazing one but its lots of money. I’ve always wanted a van to go off on adventures with but never taken the plunge to get one.

I’ve never really had a loan before, except for student loan, which doesnt count in my eyes.

In camper owners experience is it a good investment, will the monthly loan payments feel ok knowing I own a cool van? I will use it not only for camping but for my work - delivery flowers Russia.

The van has done 121 thousand miles, diesel engine 2461 cc. 2008. Fully kitted out, only bit of rust is under wheel arch and on petrol cap. Otherwise looks tidy. Full service history. Thanks for advice.
VR6 Engine tech / AGM Battery?
« Last post by EV2003NC on July 11, 2020, 08:45:19 pm »
Hi, I am new to this forum and purchased my 2003 Weekender about two months ago.  Before purchase I researched VW experts-- as I was buying an EV that needed some work-- and chose a shop based on review referrals.  I had no battery issues before taking into the service center and when I checked out, I was told I needed a new battery.  In fact, they had to jump start the car to get me home. I went straight home, and a few hours later when I tried to start it, it was so dead that neither my jumper box or jumping with a Ford Expedition could get it started.  I pulled the battery and went to Autozone.  AZ remarked that this battery was not even a year old but I bought a new one anyway--their best Platinum AGM. 

I had to take the EV back to this shop for some scheduled follow-up work and when I picked it up, they had written this on my invoice/records: "When attempting to bring the car inside battery was completely dead. Jump started fine however battery would not hold a charge. Battery that customer installed was AGM which is not correct for this vehicle. AGM batteries require special infrastructure within the charging system to operate as designed. Recommend replacing battery with standard type battery." 

AZ swapped my AGM for a standard.  Anyone else have problems with AGM compatibility?
Winnebago "Full Campers" / Roof Rack
« Last post by jarroway on June 18, 2020, 04:11:40 pm »
I want to carry a Rocket Box and a Kayak on the top of 2002 Winnebago EV. I've seen images on this forum that show a very large mounted box/rack that appears to have mounts attached to the sides of the roof. Does anyone have experience with racks on these roofs?
Thanks for your help,
James
VR6 Engine tech / 5spd manual clutch master/slave hose
« Last post by boostin20v on June 18, 2020, 07:38:46 am »
The OE master/slave hose and related OE part numbers appear to be NLA now.  Need input on getting a hose made, or where I can buy the ends needed to make a hose.

The OE hose itself is 701721477D which looks to use the same push fit ends as 2000ish and newer Audi/VWs, see attached image.  The hard line through the firewall also uses this connection (M12x1 at the master).  The slave has a funky threaded connection with an extended o-ring for sealing.  Need to figure out how to adapt from the hardline to a hose and from the hose to the slave's connection.

Ideas?
Regarding the clutch line... Vw doesn't make the line for the eurovan 5sp anymore.  So I had a ss line made from Parker hoses and fittings.  For my 1.9tdi, 02d setup the line is 30" long with 2 90 degree m12.1 fittings. One fitting is offset by 90 degrees.
I also replaced all my brake lines to ss while I was doing this.

just 2 thumbs, beware typos

My kit didn't include the hose and I'll need to get one made.  I see your hose has male ends where as the slave and hose through firewall from master also have male ends.  what did you use to adapt the line?  thinking of trying to order with female ends.
There is a link on the samba forum that has all the answers you are looking for:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651391&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=pop+top&start=60
VR6 Engine tech / Re: 24v timing chain repair
« Last post by davr6gti on May 05, 2020, 11:32:01 am »
 :o how does replacing the serpentine belt fix a misfire? sounds like there may be a need for further diagnosing.
Interior! / Re: Eurovan Security Keys - Discontinued by Volkswagen of America
« Last post by paulg on April 25, 2020, 07:21:56 am »
That is not true anymore.   Aftermarket tools are very sophisticated now.  A competent Automotive Locksmith should be able to cut and program Eurovan keys/fobs, and even newer VWs with even more complicated security systems. 

You should be able to find an Automotive Locksmith near you on Yelp or Google.  Just ask appropriate questions before making an appointment.  i.e. "Have you done a Eurovan before?, If you're not successful do I have to pay anything?" etc.
From where we can have those alternatives, either we have to go to the Eurovan Dealer or any roof repair expert?
A locksmith doesn't have the software to program VW keys, so you can't rely on mobile locksmith experts for getting the Eurovan keys.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10