Offline mech23

• View Profile
Replacement Tent Options
« on: July 20, 2015, 06:40:07 pm »
The tent on my 02 has a few small holes and some sun fading, so I am shopping for the replacement options.

Who has replaced their pop-top tent? Did you use the factory 2 window canvas version? Or an alternate (different material, more windows, etc.)

Since the factory one lasted 13 years already, it has proven durability but are the other options better in other ways?

Thanks!

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement Tent Options
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 07:36:07 pm »
I've replaced several of them. All with a cotton 3 window tent.

IMO the 3 window tents are a huge improvement.

Cole

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 08:20:08 am »
Yes - hold out for a 3 window version if you can -- those are awesome.

Offline mech23

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 08:58:19 am »
Thanks guys! It does look like the 3 window adds a lot extra light and ventilation.

Cole - are those all from the same supplier?

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 02:47:52 pm »
Thanks guys! It does look like the 3 window adds a lot extra light and ventilation.

Cole - are those all from the same supplier?

Yes, all from the same place. I'm in the process of setting up an account and will hopefully offer them here on the store soon.
Cole

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 09:25:31 am »
I am also looking to replace my tent as the van I recently bought does not have the side windows and I am used to them from my Vanagon and don't want to give them up...  I really like the color options of the acrylic tents that use the sunbrella fabric.  http://www.busdepot.com/231709s

Has anyone else installed one of these tents?  I want to know that they will fit as good as the original one.
Bill
1993 Syncro Weekender (5 speed Manual)

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 09:28:23 am »
I haven't installed one yet. I'd like to though.

I did just put on another cotton one a few days ago and doing another one today.

Cole

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 10:14:21 am »
FWIW on this topic. CaveVan is now set up to sell the aftermarket tops above. They will be listed not the site soon.

I've spoken to the manufacture about some changes that will make them fit better and easier to install. Sounds like these will only be on the tops that I order from them.
Cole

Offline Florida John

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 11:48:13 am »
Just finished my tent install. Went with the three window cotton offered by Cavevan. Debated removing the top but I did not and I'm glad I didn't. It was a little tight in the rear corners but other than that, I see no reason to remove the top. Started off by pulling out rubber gasket from bottom aluminum rail. Then removed screws from top rail. I read a tip to use a magnetic parts tray to store all of the screws and this is a good tip- there are lots of them and I didn't lose a single one. I did it manually with a properly fitted screwdriver- time consuming but not difficult. for the install, I started with the front center top and worked my way around, doing both sides in about 2-3 foot increments until front and both sides were attached. It can be a little tricky finding some of the screw holes but just take your time and you can pull on the tent until you find it. The tent has a rope sewn in that rests in the channel of the aluminum strip. I threaded my screws through the cotton and to the outside of the rope. Next I attached the rear strip, starting in the center and working my way around to where the side rails end. This was a little tricky, very little head room and you also have the lift hinges to contend with. Now it was time to start on the bottom. I wrapped a cargo strap through the handle of the top and then around the head rest. This held up it high enough for work space but still down enough for there to be slack in the tent. Seating the rubber gasket properly proved to be the most frustrating part of the whole project but once I figured it out, it went very smoothly. The gasket has two tabs, a top and bottom. Push the gasket in with your thumb, inserting the top tab first. Then use a Flat head screwdriver to push in the bottom tab. I ended up using a 3/4 inch wood file. Worked very well and i could cover a lot of ground pretty quickly. The aluminum rails are pretty soft and scuff easily, take your time. I say insert top tab first because you don't want the edge of your blade on the tent side of the gasket. I read time estimates of 8 hours but mine didn't take that long. It was very satisfying to remove that strap and see the tent pop tight. Another tip, go ahead and replace your pop top seal. They are only $67 at GoWesty and it's a small price to protect your new tent. Lessons learned- I would have bought a magnetic ratcheting screwdriver. Probably would have saved me an hours time and lots of frustration. Very pleased with the quality of the tent. Glad I went with cotton and I think the grey looks good with the white body color. Thanks to Cole for the install tips.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 12:04:18 pm by Florida John »

Offline mastersryan!

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 01:50:44 pm »
Thanks for the review florida john!

I will have to replace my tent here in the next couple months or so. I have a huge hole in the back (bought it this way) but for the time being I bought some waterproof canvas to cover the hole. It's not ideal but I have some other things to spend money on right now with the van.

John, where in Florida are you?
1993 VW Eurovan MV Weekender 2.5L 5spd

Offline omacs

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 01:45:34 pm »
I'm going to be replacing my tent canvas in the next couple of months. Mine has a couple of rips from wear and will not keep out the rain any more. The 3 window canvas sold here looks great!

Any thoughts about cotton vs. acrylic? Aside from the color choices, why would I choose one vs the other?

Does the canvas come with installation instructions? Any chance they could be posted/linked to here? I'm trying to figure out if this is a project I should take on myself, or if I need a professional. Where I live (Monterey Bay, CA), there aren't any shops within a couple of hours drive that would be able to do the install.

Omi
2002 Eurovan Weekender, Monterey Bay, CA

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 03:09:53 pm »
I'm going to be replacing my tent canvas in the next couple of months. Mine has a couple of rips from wear and will not keep out the rain any more. The 3 window canvas sold here looks great!

Any thoughts about cotton vs. acrylic? Aside from the color choices, why would I choose one vs the other?

Does the canvas come with installation instructions? Any chance they could be posted/linked to here? I'm trying to figure out if this is a project I should take on myself, or if I need a professional. Where I live (Monterey Bay, CA), there aren't any shops within a couple of hours drive that would be able to do the install.

Omi

I prefer the cotton. From installing lots of these it seems like the more durable, and in the cold, warmer material.

As far as the install goes.

-Pop the top.

-Walk around back and you will see where the rubber seal bead comes together. Pull the end of it out. You might have to use the tip of a screw driver, dental pick, etc. Then just walk around the van pulling it all out of its track. Make sure to kinda look at it and see how it is seated in the rail so you know how to reinstall it.

-Using a #1 screwdriver bit. Unscrew all of the UPPER rail. You will see that the top fabric is simply pinched into the groove of the upper rail.

-The top is a giant "loop". Now that it is totally loose you need to simply loop it up and over the top to get it off. (like taking off a t-shirt, its not rocket surgery).

-Install the new fabric the same way you took the other off.

-Now, I would lower the top about 8" to give it some slack to install the new parts. On vans with gas struts I just use a motorcycle tie down from the handle to one of the seat bases. On tops with a "H-bar" I have a long piece of wood I use to prop it up from the floor.

-Start at the front of the top and reinstall all of the trim and screws. The rope sits in the channel and the screws go through it. Work your way around back.

-Now start to push the rubber seal into the bottom track, pinching the top into the track. 2 ribs of the 3 rib seal seat easily with your thumbs. Install 2-3 feet at a time and then come back and tap the 3rd rib in with a rubber mallet and a dull tip "____". I dulled a big screwdriver for this.

Thats basically it. Good luck.
Cole

Offline omacs

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 10:43:33 am »
Thanks Cole! That sounds doable. Will order the tent canvas replacement shortly.
2002 Eurovan Weekender, Monterey Bay, CA