Offline Mikeinthe805

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Emissions monitor tests - anyone know the proper drive cycle?
« on: August 20, 2015, 03:22:02 pm »
I'm past due to get my '02 Weekender's biannual emissions test for registration renewal (California). I had some codes:
P0455 - Large evap leak. Turned out to be the N80 evap purge valve installed backward.
P0178 - System too rich bank 1. Turned out to be a vacuum leak at the large boot connected to the intake manifold fitting on the driver's side, just the way Cole pictures it on the "2003 EV Rough Idle on Startup" thread. (thanks again Cole).

Issues fixed, codes cleared, now my problem is getting the emission monitors tests to trigger and indicate OK. I've searched all the forums, scanned pages and pages of Google search, etc. I found three different sets of drive cycle instructions - did them all twice. Also followed the Smog Tech's instructions twice, all no go. I followed them all carefully starting with cold morning starts. All the monitors check out except Catalyst, Oxygen sensor, and Secondary air system.

At this point I'm assuming that I either have a problem with one or more of those three systems or I'm not doing the right sort of drive cycle. The four different drive cycle instructions I followed vary widely from the others, so I assume at least three of them are incorrect.

I've lined up with my mechanic to see if he can force the monitors with his scanner (my scanner is a cheap non Vag-Com version). But the timing and logistics of doing that are tough for me, so I'd love to find success independently.

Does anyone know the proper drive cycle for my '02 24 valve VR6?

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: Emissions monitor tests - anyone know the proper drive cycle?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 11:13:41 am »
I have never had any luck with forcing readiness with drive cycle even following the manual. I usally force readiness with the vag or just drive 60 miles. As soon as test runs it will pass or throw a code that will trigger the cel. It is interesting that the cat and o2 did not show readiness they will usally pass or fail in the first few miles and the secondary air and evap zero in last few miles of the 60 miles.