Offline Snowshoer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Transmission filler tube leak
« on: September 01, 2015, 01:56:24 pm »
Hi- I just noticed a small drip under my 1999 EV Weekender that is tranny fluid. I jacked it up and removed pan and saw a few small drips along the pan gasket. I was thinking it may be the gasket BUT now it looks like it is leaking around the filler tube. I know there is an O-ring in there that may be causing the drip. It's not bad at all and the only reason I noticed is because I slide cardboard under the Van to monitor any drips.
Is it common for a leak to develop at the filler tube?  Has anybody replaced the O-ring without dropping the pan?  Wish I could just replace it with a dipstick but can't find any online.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Neil.
1999 Techno-Blue EV-Westy

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
Re: Transmission filler tube leak
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 02:31:23 pm »
Any VW dealer should be able to order a new o-ring, it's not expensive either.
You don't need to drop transmission pan in order to replace it (obviously belly pan needs to be dropped), but will have to drain some of the ATF (can re-use it if you don't want to change it).

-albertr

Offline Snowshoer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 10:13:41 am »
There is no dealer anywhere near me so everything has to be done through the mail. After work today my plan is to get it off the blocks and run it so it warms up. Then I hopefully can determine where the leak is. I'm thinking it's either the fill tube or the electrical sensor connection next to the filler.
I'll let you guys know what I find later. -This forum is helpfull! Thanks a lot guys!
Neil. 

Offline Snowshoer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 06:03:49 pm »
Update---Ok just ran the Van and got tranny up to 170 and let it sit. It appears to be seeping fluid around the sensor next to the transmission fill tube on the passenger side. Does anybody know anything about it, I can't find anything online. I hope there is an o-ring of some type I can get and replace it. Has anybody seen this before. I can try to get a picture if it will help.

Neil.

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 11:31:56 pm »
My van (Lucille) had a leaking transmission -- from the (forgive me I'm not sure what its called) multi-function switch on the drivers side. Fluid travelled all around and I never found the leak properly until the transmission was pulled. Bad gasket on the sensor. Might be worth looking into replacing all the gaskets for  plugs and sensors on the transmission while you're there.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:33:48 pm by Itsamoto »

Offline Snowshoer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 03:36:37 am »
I will look into the other gaskets after I fix this one. Here is a picture from the Rialta group of the sensor location. The tranny filler tube is removed in the picture. My filler tube is not leaking, it's the sensor. I would think it's just an O-ring making the seal. Not sure if I can match it up at Carquest or if I need to order online. Does anybody know before I attempt to remove it. Also does anybody know if prying up gently with a screwdriver will,pop it out of the tranny?  Sorry for all the questions I'm stumped with this one.
Thank you.

Offline Farther

• Rosie, the Corgi, is my copilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 07:24:35 pm »
Wish I could just replace it with a dipstick but can't find any online.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Neil.
Here is a start: http://europarts-sd.com/transmissiondipstickkit-eurovan1995-2003.asp
Thanks,
~Farther

Offline Snowshoer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 08:19:50 pm »
I will give europarts-sd a call after I chase down the other drip from that sensor I can't find the name of.  Now its not leaking!  I think I will take it on a ride this weekend without the belly pan on it and let it sit and see if the leak shows up. 

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 11:43:13 pm »
I will look into the other gaskets after I fix this one. Here is a picture from the Rialta group of the sensor location. The tranny filler tube is removed in the picture. My filler tube is not leaking, it's the sensor. I would think it's just an O-ring making the seal. Not sure if I can match it up at Carquest or if I need to order online. Does anybody know before I attempt to remove it. Also does anybody know if prying up gently with a screwdriver will,pop it out of the tranny?  Sorry for all the questions I'm stumped with this one.
Thank you.

I see two sensors shown in this picture  -- on the left hand side is the valve body connector (which connects to the VB conductor strip/ribbon) and on the upper right hand side is the vehicle speed sensor. Both have sealing gaskets - but the valve body connection is sealed from the inside.  :(

So if its the valve body connection (G93) -- that cable is 12 pin data connector cable and held in place by a little plastic retaining strap (around the plug) that you pinch and pull straight up to remove. Try not to wiggle the connector cable plug too much to avoid damaging the valve body connector strip pins (the connector is a male plug with female pin receptacles if that makes sense). To replace the seal/gasket -- you will need to drain the ATF and drop the transmission oil pan -- and then there is one guide bolt to remove that holds the conductor strip in place - then the terminal end can be pulled out and the gasket can be changed.

If its the vehicle speed sensor, (G68) then you can replace the gasket from outside the transmission. Disconnect the cable and remove the retaining bolt. Sensor can then be pulled or gently pryed loose and wiggle out to replace the gasket/seal. Retaining bolt goes back in @ 7ft/lbs per Bentley.

Offline Snowshoer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 03:04:50 am »
Thanks for the reply Itsamoto!  If my leak detection skills are right its the valve body connection where the seep is.  Thing is now it has stopped seeping, so I am going to run it on the road without the pan to mimic real world conditions then make sure that is exactly where the seep is.  I can then dig into getting the gasket.  Its weird its not dripping very much or consistently, I just had the fluid checked before my last camping trip and it was a bit low but never any visible drips.  I have to get more confident in checking the fluid myself so I can top it off when needed and repair the gasket when I do the filter change-out (which I plan on doing every spring, I just got the van last month and filter was changed last year). 

Neil.

Offline Snowshoer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 06:49:00 pm »
*Update*
After lots of cleaning and watching I discovered my leak is definitely from the valve body connection.  It seems like a very small bead of fluid is around it all the time and slowly runs over the edge of the tranny. It also looks like the retaining clip has a tab broken off but connection is tight for the data cable.  I will wrap a zip tie around it to keep it in place for now.  Not sure what to do about the slow leak though.  I may just wait till spring when I do a filter change and attempt to change the gasket then.  I was really hoping for the filler tube to be the culprit but NOOOO.  I was thinking a small bead of rtv type sealer around the connector where it goes through the transmission case may help if I can get it to stick.  Or just let it drip and keep checking it and topping it off which we all know is a bit of a pain.  What do you guys think??  I just really don't want to mess with dropping the pan right now as I will be parking it for the winter in 2 months. 

Thanks.

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 02:46:21 pm »
Remove the wheel and clean the area around the multi function switch put a clean pan under it. When you remove the switch you will loose about three cups of fluid just keep it clean and you can put it back in when you are done. A good parts store should have an o-ring that will work. Use a trans funnel and 5/8 tube to replace fluid.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Offline Snowshoer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 01:42:56 pm »
All fixed!  It was nerve racking dealing with that ribbon cable as I didn't want to damage it.  It was the O-ring on the sensor. I replaced it when I did a filter change. I also added a dipstick and no more leaks!!  Thank you for all the help.