Offline andrew

• Sounds like a diesel
    • View Profile
Anyone running a VNT turbo?
« on: November 11, 2015, 09:49:29 am »
What did you do for the turbo oil line? I was planning on having one made from my GT-15 line, but found it won't thread in. I'm a little hesitant to run it parallel to the manifold for fear of cooking the oil in the line. I'm also not thrilled about the idea of buying yet another $100 part for the swap :)

Re: Anyone running a VNT turbo?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 11:38:41 am »
Yes I'm running an S7 vnt turbo on my AHU EV. Formerly I had on this same eng a vnt 17/22 hybrid and on other EVs ive used vnt15s and one vnt 17. Best solution in terms of cost and effort is to pony up for the Kerma SS oil supply line and the correct oe return line depending on the turbo used. Gets real close to $200 by the end of the project--peanuts in the grand scope of this kind of project.

Justin

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI
Justin
2000 EVW 1.9l TDI 5spd Syncro

Offline andrew

• Sounds like a diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 04:28:56 pm »
I emailed Bora parts for details because the picture on their site is tiny, but I'll probably end up going with that.

My understanding as of right now is that the stock ALH return line will work with a VNT-17 (with the threaded tube to convert from the 1Z banjo bolt). I haven't found one on TDIClub, so I floated the idea of buying a $20 one from rothenbacher. My wife shot that down pretty quickly, which I thought was pretty funny. Looks like I'll have to order that too.

By the way— how do you like the S7? I imagine it keeps smoke down pretty well...

Update - The stock ALH return line will work, but is a little long, and therefor difficult to place. A BEW return line will fit better.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 06:56:51 pm by andrew »

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 07:09:44 am »
The S7 is a nice balance btwn high and low rev output. The 17/22 is hands down better on the high rev end (i.e. Mountain passes, highway passing, towing etc) but is a lil slow spooling up around town for my liking. With a heavy rig like the EV you want to have power on demand right when you want it.

The stock K03 is great in this Dept but can't keep up with air volume needs above 2800rpm so EGTs get to be a problem.  The vnt-15 does a better job, the vnt-17 a little mo better, and the S7 the best IMO.

Justin

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI
Justin

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 03:11:28 am »
Does the s7 fit without having to bend the firewall to make room?

...tapped out with just a thumb

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 08:43:13 am »
Yes 

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI
Justin

Offline andrew

• Sounds like a diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 05:56:54 pm »
For reference I have what is allegedly a GT1749VB with a VNT-15 (VA?) cold side housing. With it clocked with the outlet pointed up it definitely hits the firewall soundproofing even without intercooler piping connected. Clocked down it is a bit tight to the trumpet mount, but there's so much room on the timing belt side it should be easy to run pipes to my front-mount intercooler.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 07:23:15 am »
Yes clock it so the outlet is facing down then run your ic pipes on the tbelt side to the front.

Justin

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI
Justin

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 10:46:55 pm »
I bought the gt1849v
Genuine Garrett gt1749v with gt17 compressor wheel with  A real GARRETT vacuum actuator included 

Warranty: 12 months warranty *

Optional installation kit (all necessary gaskets): 39$
And upgrade to GT18V turbine wheel)  GT18 larger impeller for increase

from blaast performance.  I got the largest compressor wheel that fits in the housing, also an upgraded billet turbine.  I got the vnt18 exhaust side.
Nice price!!! But...
Problem is, it arrived in the mail. and the exhaust turbine has play.  I can wiggle it and it will even touch the housing.
I asked blaast about  this and what I should do,  here was their response.

"Hello. We don't get to adjust the shaft play.
The slight shaft play you see on the turbo is the normal one you get with new internals. These turbos have a single central bearing so The shaft does a normal lever motion when you move only one extremity. The proper way to check shaft play is to wiggle simultaneously both ends of the shaft with one hand at each extremity. (try that, you will feel no play.)
A completely tight shaft would be a defective turbo.
Yes the turbo is warrantied for one year against failure or premature wear but not against other peoples interpretation.
The vsr report is included to show this turbo was tested and balancing is perfect. You can install and use it with confidence."

The intake side has no wiggle at all.

Also I measured the I.d. of the turbo

About..38to39mm intake side 42mm exhaust side internal diameter

Is this accurate?

Can someone with experience with these vnt turbos chime in here,  is what blaast is saying true?

I do not want the turbine to hit the wall, melt into pieces and fly into my motor poking holes in my pistons..

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 11:31:12 pm by filmshoot »

Offline andrew

• Sounds like a diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 06:54:58 pm »
Sorry I didn't see this until now. Has there been any update?

I can't verify what they're claiming with regard to the turbine shaft levering back and forth, but if that's the case it's a new concept to me. I'd be very concerned that if it has the physical ability to contact the housing it will when put in use.

Do you have a turbo shop nearby? I imagine they would be able to tell you very quickly if it seems right or not.

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 07:39:20 pm »
Blaast has contacted me, they will let me send the chra to them, and hopefully will issue me a new one.  What a pain tho, as I have to pay shipping and pay for a balancing ... Oh well better safe than sorry

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 03:58:00 pm »
Blaast has sent me a replacement.. It has arrived with no play.  I've since installed it in the turbo and the turbo in the van... All works well.

Offline Robinasu

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 11:41:56 pm »
What's your preferred method to program engine management? Are the stock units hackable?

The S7 is a nice balance btwn high and low rev output. The 17/22 is hands down better on the high rev end (i.e. Mountain passes, highway passing, towing etc) but is a lil slow spooling up around town for my liking. With a heavy rig like the EV you want to have power on demand right when you want it.

The stock K03 is great in this Dept but can't keep up with air volume needs above 2800rpm so EGTs get to be a problem.  The vnt-15 does a better job, the vnt-17 a little mo better, and the S7 the best IMO.

Justin

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 11:48:32 pm »
I blew the seals on my blaast the psi spiked to 33 and that was that.  The adjustment nut on the vacuum pod had come loose.

Now I'm running a vnt17/22 the last nib one around so I hear.
I love it, but yes. The low end is annoying especially with a duj transmission,
It is impossible for me to easily pull my boat out of the water too.   I will consider either a  seperate  launch tune ,  regearing 1st gear lower, or both. And if this doesn't help, then I'm looking for a new turbo setup such as the s7

just 2 thumbs, beware typos