Offline Micah

• View Profile
Exhaust front pipe/down pipe
« on: January 20, 2016, 09:05:59 am »
In the last few days, I have developed a really loud front exhaust leak. :o Feeling the flex portion of the front pipe just below the exhaust manifold has confirmed my suspicions. One  - possibly both of the flex portions of the front pipe are separated.  :(

Has anyone had to replace this on their van, if so were you able to find an aftermarket part? I am also wondering if anyone has a used front pipe that is in good condition? :)

So far online I have found:
 EXHAUST SYSTEM / Front pipe
Part Number: 021253091G

front pipe 2.8 LITER, 6 CYLINDER
MSRP   Core ?   Online Price
$609.00   $0.00   $460.40

Any other ideas for sourcing, and is it easy to change?

Thanks!

Micah

Re: Exhaust front pipe/down pipe
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 03:13:42 pm »
I had to replace mine on my 1999 Eurovan 12v VR6 2 years ago. The only place I could find one was from the dealership, paid around $500 for it. I had tried and failed to weld up the cracked tubes at the header on the old pipes. The exhaust was seeping into the passenger compartment so I had to bite the bullet and replace that part.

These vans are only getting older, and parts more expensive. Pretty soon you won't be able to find those down pipes. I am having major engine problems with my van now, not sure how much it is going to cost me this time.

Good luck,

Andy
Andy Y.
Lakewood, CO
1999 Eurovan MV

Offline ckunkel

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 11:08:52 am »
I had the same issue as krautwagen and we had a Shop in Seattle weld the cracks and they have held for some time ( about a year)now but we went ahead and ordered the part from the dealership to have just in case.  This is a part that we had to wait for over 8 months to get from the dealer due to out of stock and no aftermarket parts for this.

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 08:52:57 am »
You can cut out the old flexable coupler and weld in a new one and have a repair as good or better than oem for much less money.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 09:22:10 pm by robinson1509 »

Offline greggearhead

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Gear Head
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 08:47:54 pm »
What Robinson said. 

Stop by a hot-rod or Harley custom builder shop.  Ask them who they would have build them a pipe like that. 

I've built lots of exhausts, and modified a handful of headers/downpipes.  It's not rocket science, but you won't find them on every corner and it also isn't easy if you don't weld.  Don't let it hold you back.

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 06:41:02 pm »
We just recently had this same issue on one of our 1999 12V VR6 vans.

While we had it apart we built a jig to make custom, slightly larger, mid/down pipes for the VR6.

We have also jigged the entire rest of the exhaust and should have them available soon.
Cole