Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
New-CaveVan Premium flooring.
« on: May 10, 2016, 05:37:44 pm »
I'm going to be using some premium flooring in my custom vans and am considering offering this flooring as an option for the DIYer too.

This stuff is about the same thickness as the current vinyl flooring but offers more color choices and other benefits for a long wearing floor with great traction.

I'm also considering making this one continuous sheet instead of the two pieces that I currently do. That way there is no seam under the seat.

The grey fleck is a much closer match to the Eurovan grey interior and is a lighter color for those that want it cooler in the direct sun.  There is a blue, green and white that would look very cool in some of the custom vans. Those may come at a slight premium to the premium. (also some bright yellow, and maroon that will look great in some vans)

This stuff is quite a bit more expensive to deal with for me but should be a nice premium upgrade for those that want the best stuff. Price would be about $450 for the grey fleck and $500 for the special order colors. Cut out for your van of course.

These pictures are taken on the original standard flooring that is in my own Eurovan. Its the original test piece so had lots of miles of abuse on it. But is there so you can see the difference.

[/url]

Here you can see the difference in backing between the standard and the premium flooring. (this standard piece has been hauling engines in the back of my Sprinter so its pretty dirty)

Cole

Offline Phaeton

• Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
Re: New-CaveVan Premium flooring.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 07:20:24 am »
Sounds great, I'd possibly be interested for a contiguous flooring option for the GLS w/captains chairs.

Would it be pre-cut for seats, heating vent, etc?
Are different patterns available?

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 08:01:14 am »
Their are some other patterns. I should have some more samples later today or tomorrow.

These would be pre-cut to your specs.

The one issue you run into with a GL/GLS is that they have a carpet over foam pad floor(it's all glued together). So when you remove it you are left with a ridged metal floor.

The MV/Weekender has a carpet over wood floor. So the carpet can be removed from the wood subfloor and replaced with a vinyl.

Since the carpet just lifts out of a GL/GLS(not as permanently glued down like the wood sub floor, but still glued). You can use it as a templet to make a 1/4" to 1/2" wood subfloor for the van. Which is especially useful if you want to convert the GL/GLS to a MV. The MV bed works much better rolling on wood than sinking into carpet.

I've got several MV rear beds and complete table panels if anyone wants to convert.
Cole

Offline Phaeton

• Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 12:59:10 pm »
My intention is to strip the interior completely, apply sound deadening (Dynamat) and copious amounts of closed cell foam (Second Skin Audio).

I'd want something like the OEM pattern here: http://www.cavevan.com/forum/index.php?topic=311.msg2081#new
For MV owners perhaps the rail would be a good idea as well.

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 01:15:12 pm »
Those groves in that square floor look really hard to sweep and potentially not so friendly on the knees.

Cole

Offline mastersryan!

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 08:51:49 am »
I see the flooring for-sale in the shop section but do knot see a place for pre-cut options. Am I missing something?
1993 VW Eurovan MV Weekender 2.5L 5spd

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 09:14:29 am »
Right now the only flooring available on the shop IS precut. It's also the grey standard flooring.

I simply haven't had the time to add the premium flooring to the shop....
Cole

Offline mastersryan!

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 09:35:03 am »
is it the 2 piece that you mentioned previously or the 1 piece? Is it pre-cut for the seats?

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 09:59:10 am »
Flooring comes in 2 pieces just like the factory flooring.

It's cut out for the rear MV/Weekender bench and usually left blank for the rear facing seats. I can cut those out for a Weekender. But they have some variation to them and it's often best to feel them out and trim them in person with a utility knife.(when I build a van I cut those openings after the vinyl is in the van for accuracy)
Cole

Offline mastersryan!

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 10:04:59 am »
Gotcha - Thanks for the help.