Cold Weather > Starter, Solenoid or? What do you think?
« on: December 19, 2016, 07:48:30 pm »
Interested in seeking possible reasons.... considerations and what to do... Please chime in.

I have a 2002 EVC. Recently went winter camping at a ski area. Outside low temp was 5 degrees and high was 12. I was in an rv lot and plugged into shore power overnight.  I also attached a battery tender to the starter battery and left that plugged in. So power was plentiful and good.

About 24 hours later when I needed to leave, the engine would not turn over. No click or attempt to hear anything engage to crank over. All my electrical was good. Dash lit up, headlights good. Tried jump start.... nothing happened. Read voltage off starter battery and got 12.69v. Outside temp is now 7 degrees. EVC had been parked and not moved for 24 hours in cold temps.

Thought was solenoid may be frozen open. Condensation perhaps from thermal differentiation? As the engine compartment cooled down after I parked for that night and next day, maybe condensation formed inside the soleinoid and froze open due to outside temp.

Bummer was... could not access starter to smack it or warm it up.  Can't get to it from the top.  Belly pan prevented access given the scenario. I had to have it towed home.... that hurt and was expensive.

Got back home and rolled it into the garage.  Once in the garage, I let it sit for 24 hours. I plugged in a battery tender for the starter battery and the coach. The temp was 42 degrees inside the garage. Went to start 24 hours later and it fired right up. No hesitation.

Do you think this is something indicating a potential failure in my future? Starter? Solenoid? Other? Or extreme cold temps challenging the viability of winter camping in an EVC?

How do other rigs protect themselves from this problem? What exactly is a winter package that may be offered on a different vehicle.  I don't think a heater core would make a difference for my experience. Should I replace the starter and solenoid? Is there something I am overlooking?

I thought I was good with precautions I took.  The furnace did great... was cozy and fine inside.

Would like to learn from the community what may be going on and what I should do to avoid this from happening again.  Thanks so much and know all thoughts are welcome!

-tob
02 EVC 80+k