Offline jackjtr

• View Profile
How Far To Build Engine
« on: August 20, 2017, 02:29:06 pm »
Hey guys,

After years of thinking about this swap, I finally have a clear garage bay and have just purchased my donor, a 1997 Passat TDI. I have yet to get a response from Frans @ Dutch Auto despite emailing him twice. I hope he is well.

My question is this: How far should I build the engine before installing it into my van? I will, at the least, be doing top end work such as stem seals and maybe a cam, but I'd rather leave the bottom alone.

I assume that with head studs, I should be able to get away with a VNT17 (or similar). My main goal is not a hot rod, but a majority of my driving takes place in the NYC area, where stop and go is vital to survival. So I will most likely end up with bigger injectors, a larger turbo, and a tune.

On top of all this, I'm on a bit of a budget, and I'd like to avoid opening the can of worms that is the bottom end.

Van is a 2002 MV with a burnt up torque converter and toasted reverse clutches. Don't ask who did it ;)
2002 EVMV TDI, Mercedes of the 60s-80s, Movie Biz

Offline andrew

• Sounds like a diesel
    • View Profile
Re: How Far To Build Engine
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 12:07:25 pm »
You definitely want a VNT 17, and if your donor is a 1Z you want at least ALH pistons. If you're going to be flooring it a lot the bottom end will be under significant stress.

Get an EGT and manifold pressure gauge and watch for spikes and you'll be fine.

Offline jackjtr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 03:40:04 pm »
Whoops, didn't have notifications on for this thread.

Is there a go to larger than stock non-VNT turbo that anyone has used in their vans? I'd need a different ECU to control the VNT, correct?

How do you think I would fare with just bigger nozzles, a Colt cam, head studs, and a tune? Will it be undriveable? The stock setup with 201hp/181ft lbs mated to an auto was more than plenty, and if you ex-5 cylinder guys only had 110, and that was comfortable, I'm sure the above mentioned mods would be fine.

I know a lot of this tech stuff belongs in the TDI Club forums, but I'd like to hear it from EuroVan guys.

Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 EVMV TDI, Mercedes of the 60s-80s, Movie Biz

Offline andrew

• Sounds like a diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 08:57:35 am »
The 5 cyl gasser was undrivable, and I managed to get one that was running quite well.

Mine now has a VNT 17, 11mm pump and .205 nozzles, and I'm very happy with it. Just back from a road trip through the mountains and it consistently returned 30mpg. The gasser was 19-24 and the uphills were slow and loud.

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 09:56:57 am »
I've got the 1z, 11mm, and top end work only with a 1722 turbo ...  I'm at 28k miles on this setup.   But definitely use the alh manifold gaskets,  and definitely use the most recent crank pulley

just 2 thumbs, beware typos