Coach Battery Upgrade and Rewire Questions
« on: August 11, 2015, 12:32:12 am »
Just bought the car 6 weeks ago, the coach battery is not recharging while driving.  I'll put test numbers and symptoms below.  After some messing around I've decided to:
1) change the relay on the firewall above battery,
2) put in 2 golf cart batteries instead of single coach battery,
3) change the charger (either Progressive Dynamics [PD9245CV] 45 Amp Power Converter per David, or a ProMariner ProSport 20, 20amp, 2 Bank 43020). 

My main question is "Where is a switched connector (on/off with ignition switch) that I can attach the relay to." The relay in my car is not stock.  I believe the body of the stock relay was grounded to the firewall, and a 3rd wire was attached to a switched circuit.  In the picture below there is a purple wire that has been cut off (right arrow).  When the ignition is on it is hot, when the ignition is off it is grounded (or maybe I have that in reverse...).  I believe this is the wire that once went to the old relay, I know Winnabago used purple wires. 

If you take a look at the pic of the relay below, I believe that the relay put in by a PO is wrong or it's wired wrong.  It's a 3 wire relay, and is screwed in through plastic, so the body is not grounded.  The 3rd wire was hooked up to the neg terminal of the battery.  It's a voltage sensitive relay, It says on it: "cut in 13.7V, cut out 12.8V"  It was basically closed (current went through) no matter what.

Here's the symptoms and what I've found out, coach battery was dead (11.8V across contacts disconnected):
A) The relay: Engine on, engine off, coach battery connected or disconnected the relay stays closed (current goes through it).  The car battery died when not driven for 2 weeks.  I assume it was trying to charge the dead or dying coach battery while it sat.  Thus a new relay.
B) The charger works; 15+V if the house battery is disconnected, 13.8V with the battery connected.  Still, i'd rather have a smart charger.  Looks like an easy switch.
C) Coach battery was at 11.8V.  I charged it overnight on shore power, and it was up to 13.8, dropping .01 every few seconds when I disconnected a terminal.  Wanted to change out the battery for 2 6v golf cart batteries anyway.
D) Car battery is at 12.75V with house battery disconnected..

The parts I've ordered/purchased are:
-2 6V golf cart batteries from Costco
-Stinger SGP38 80-AMP Battery Isolator and Relay from Amazon.com
-Battery box: http://www.allbatterysalesandservice.com/browse.cfm/4,573.html
-2 of Camco 47440 Black 5/16" Stud 18" Long 4-Gauge Marine Battery Cable and Lug Assembly Tinned from Amazon
-E Support Car Battery Isolator Disconnect Cut OFF Power Kill Switch

Haven't ordered the charger yet, but I'll probably get the "Progressive Dynamics (PD9245CV) 45 Amp Power Converter with Charge Wizard" from Amazon for 168.99.
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

Re: Coach Battery Upgrade and Rewire Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 10:34:18 am »
Randy at Best Converter is really helpful - https://bestconverter.3dcartstores.com - how about sending him some business? :)
95 EVC
1705.net
Thanks to everyone I forget to thank!

Offline BobB

• Beach camping!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 01:08:11 pm »
$157.50 for 9245C at Best.  Amazon does not always have the lowest price.  And at least if you have a technical question, you can call Best.
BobB
'99 VW EVC

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 01:57:45 am »
Went with BestConverter.com for charger, yet to install it, but the twin 6v batteries are installed, along with a new relay. 

Still does not charge from the alternator.  Tester reads 13.7V when car is running to the car battery, through the relay, but 12.5V at the coach batteries.  Seems like a break in the circuit between the relay and the coach batteries.  According to the wiring diagram from Winnebago the only place there is a connection between the two batteries is a stud near the charger.  I'll take a look at that tomorrow. 
MY BAD…after some futzing around, I found that the coach batteries are charging!  All is well. The alternator voltage drops when all three batteries are connected to about 12.75V on idle…looked like it wasn't charging.

I took pics of the installation, and I'll post them.  Did have to do a little modifying to get the battery box in with the batteries sideways rather then end to end, but more room for storage!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:50:27 pm by DRotblatt »
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 12:37:26 am »
I'm taking this thread to the "Winnebago AUX/house battery, solar thread."  Shouldn't have started a new one....mainly wanted to get some answers to questions while installing the batteries.

If you'd like to see a write-up of installing two 6v golf cart batteries: http://www.rotblattsculpture.com/eurovanbatteryin.html

Continued on "Winnebago AUX/house battery, solar thread."
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:05:40 am by DRotblatt »
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC