Offline Farther

• Rosie, the Corgi, is my copilot
    • View Profile
EVC sliding door window?
« on: September 23, 2015, 07:46:47 pm »
I noticed that some (maybe all) Weekender vans have an openable window on the sliding door.  Is this openable window the correct size to replace the non-openable window on the EVC?
Thanks,
~Farther

Offline Farther

• View Profile
Re: EVC sliding door window?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 11:00:14 am »
Can anybody tell me if the sliding door on the Weekender and the EVC are of the same dimensions including window opening?
Thanks,
~Farther

Offline Farther

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 06:34:14 pm »
Someone must know the answer.
Thanks,
~Farther

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 12:47:54 pm »
I'll make an educated guess and say that the door is the same dimensions but the window is not. I believe the Full Campers were made from panel vans and the windows were cut into doors that originally didn't have windows. The window seal is a different style between the two.

Offline Farther

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 01:27:07 pm »
My educated guess is that the EVC was delivered to Winnebago with the window in the slider already.  Otherwise why would Winnebago install a non-opening window there and opening window elsewhere in the EVC.  Especially why did they install an opening window above the refrigerator exhaust opening?  I would suspect that the difference in the weather stripping is because of the different style of window and not from different window openings.  But until I can get a look at the Weekender in person or someone with direct experience can comment, it is just an wildass guess.  Thanks for your comments.
Thanks,
~Farther

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 02:27:05 pm »
The weekender, mv, and gls window bolts in to the door as a unit. Not sure if that helps but I was surprised when I found that out. Unfortunately, I've had to replace one on our van. I still have the frame from the broken window I could get measurements from if that would help.

Offline Farther

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 03:16:02 pm »
I still have the frame from the broken window I could get measurements from if that would help.
That and measurements of your door size would help too.
Thanks,
~Farther

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 03:53:32 pm »
My educated guess is that the EVC was delivered to Winnebago with the window in the slider already.  Otherwise why would Winnebago install a non-opening window there and opening window elsewhere in the EVC.  Especially why did they install an opening window above the refrigerator exhaust opening?  I would suspect that the difference in the weather stripping is because of the different style of window and not from different window openings.  But until I can get a look at the Weekender in person or someone with direct experience can comment, it is just an wildass guess.  Thanks for your comments.

The vans were long wheelbase panel vans (they received exclusive rights to these in the US, I understand), and Winnebago cut the door for the window.

The story goes that Winnnebago wanted a platform for the Rialta, and VW wanted a camper for the American market, so a deal was struck. One of these days, I need to research this for accuracy! :)

As for why Winnebago did this, if you own of of these, you know that Winnebago did some bizarre things when putting these together (can't open the undersink cabinet when the bed is down is just one of many....)
95 EVC
1705.net
Thanks to everyone I forget to thank!

Offline Farther

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 04:35:52 pm »
One of these days, I need to research this for accuracy! :)
Why would you not research this before posting?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 04:38:11 pm by Farther »
Thanks,
~Farther

Offline Farther

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 05:19:45 pm »
Because this is a friendly forum, not Wikipedia.  ;D
I would hope that Wikipedia and this forum are not mutually exclusive.
Thanks,
~Farther

Offline carlh

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 07:30:25 pm »
I have a Weekender (2003) and a Winnebago Camper (2001).

The sliding door window openings are not the same size.  The Camper opening is smaller.

Offline Farther

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 08:41:11 pm »
Thanks for posting.
Thanks,
~Farther