Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
Best replacement for EVC stock Norcold fridge?
« on: June 03, 2015, 08:31:49 am »
Turned out that my Norcold went into coma. I probably can fix it, but also would like to consider replacing it with something better and more efficient. I don't need it to run on LPG, a combination of 12VDC/110VAC would be fine if it can automatically detect and switch to 110VAC. Obviously, will try to install the largest capacity fridge that can fit. I can remove stock kitchen electrical panel and replace it with a slimmer one if it would help to get more space for a larger fridge.

If you have replaced your stock Norcold with something else in EVC , please share your experience.

Thanks!

-albertr

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:36:01 am by albertr »

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
Re: Best replacement for EVC stock Norcold fridge?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 08:47:44 am »
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:24:35 am by albertr »

Offline 42pvan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 08:29:14 pm »
Here are some pictures of my TruckFridge TF65 installed in 97 EVC

http://www.cavevan.com/forum/index.php?topic=38

Comped to the Norcold the TF65 has more cold volume, plus a freezer, and takes up less space. I got the DC only version from Westy Ventures. If you are plugged to shore power, your inverter should produce 12VDC to charge your house battery and the fridge can run off that. I replaced the stock inverter (mine was only putting out about 9 V) with a nice battery charger and it works just fine running the fridge. I have it plugged in or on a camping trip for a month straight with no issues.  Both TruckFridge and Vitrifrigo are good units and draw about 2.5 amps and about 20-25 amp hours per day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 07:22:30 am »
Great, thanks!

-albertr

Offline sdunn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 09:03:53 am »
I also converted to Vitrifrigo and consider it the best upgrade I have made to the van. I installed V60IAC which is auto-switching 12VDC - 110VAC.  It is distinctly more effective running on 110VAC, but I hadn't thought t measure the output from my 12v system - maybe I am getting substantially less than 12VDC and I need to look at that. Definitely on shore power its cooling ability is equivalent to a normal household refrigerator.

It is very quiet. For comparison, my wife says she can't sleep when the furnace is on because the fan wakes her up. She has no problem with the fridge compressor coming on. And, it runs very frequently for short periods. That may also be something I need to look at.

Also the elimination of the exhaust vents opens up the possibility of installing circular LEDs on the outside of the van. The new Airstreams have this, and it's pretty cool - would be nice to have a switchable low-power exterior light (even on the non-door side)

Finally, I would say that while nothing about the conversion is hard, it is a lot perhaps tedious fitment work. I have several hours invested in the swap, even though mechanically/electrically it is plug & play.

Offline 42pvan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 08:02:04 pm »
I agree with sdunn!  Best thing I have done. I also didn't like how I could get fridge exhaust fumes in the cabin when the louvre red window over the vent was open . My fridge runs about half the time, maybe a bit less, and switches every 5-10 minutes. If yours is cycling more frequently, you may want adjust the thermostat mechanism. I don't mean just turning it up or down, but there should be way to adjust the "sensitivity" so it cycles less frequently with slightly higher temperature swings but operating more efficiently. Older household thermostats had this adjustment inside the back cover as a little flat lever that was hard to move. You had to take the thermostat off the wall to access the lever. Fridge should have something like this somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 11:19:53 am »
I was told that Vitrifrigo USA ran out of C60i's and that they expecting to get them back in stock at the end of August!  :'( Well, I guess that's how fast they do business in Europe...  ;D

For about the same price as Vitrifrigo, I'm trying to see if I can get a larger fridge - Waeco/Dometics CR-80. It's has a gross volume capacity of about 79L and *might* fit. Hight/width dimensions seems ok if electrical panel is relocated from top to left side of the cabinet. Still not sure about CR-80's depth - it might get very close or might not fit with flush mounted plate. Would be nice to see some real pictures of its back (maybe some electronic/tubing/wiring can be moved out to reduce its depth), but I was not able to find any...  :'(

-albertr

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 02:20:19 pm »
Spoke with an owner of Dometics CR-80 and was advised against it on the grounds of cheap chinese quality of construction and unreliable door lock.

So went ahead and ordered Truckfridge T65 AC/DC (re-labeled Vitrifrigo C62IBD4-S) from Westy Ventures. They have good price on that fridge with free shipping.

-albertr