Stowaway Cargo Box & Mod
« on: July 30, 2015, 01:19:16 pm »
I have a 02 EVC with 80K. I'm the original owner.  I put a stowaway 2 swing away cargo box on the hitch for extra storage when needed.  Great box!  Let's you open the back hatch while still attached.  I had a local welding shop add to the frame a short overhead frame for a rack system to carry bikes or cargo.  The pic shows pontoon boat frames on the overhead.  A yakima track system is on the overhead so I can slide on my bike mounts and carry two mountain bikes. 

The stowaway frame has two stock tube receptacles that the overhead drops into. So I can travel with or without the overhead.  The overhead does have to be removed to open the tailgate. But the box still swings away and can be opened and accessed without issue with the overhead installed.

Another mod I had the welding shop do was to make a diamond plate propane cover. After crushing two and losing one I gave up and went to aluminum.  Waaaaay better and worth it considering what the stock covers cost.

Lastly… is a pic of my heights I keep in the driver visor for quick reference.  Printed on card stock and laminated.  I need to quickly look at my heights depending on configuration for ferries, garages, over passes, etc…. it's been very helpful.

Sooooooo glad to see this forum!  Thanks for making it happen!

-tob

Offline Farther

• Rosie, the Corgi, is my copilot
    • View Profile
Re: Stowaway Cargo Box & Mod
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:27:50 pm »
Another mod I had the welding shop do was to make a diamond plate propane cover. After crushing two and losing one I gave up and went to aluminum.  Waaaaay better and worth it considering what the stock covers cost.
-tob

Got any pictures of the diamond plate propane cover and hopefully the specifications?
Thanks,
~Farther

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 10:26:43 pm »
Here's a collection of shots of the propane cover I had a local welding shop fab up.  I think I paid $125.00 for the final result. Still happy with it and like it better than the original plastic cover.  I think just bring your rig to a welding shop and have them see what you have is best rather than specs. Note the bolt they welded to the frame for attachment.  I ended up inscribing my email address on the inside should I drive off without it. My local boys knocked it out quickly. Hope this helps....

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 10:28:15 pm »
Here's one more collection of the cover.

Offline Farther

• Rosie, the Corgi, is my copilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 10:15:44 am »
Thanks for the pictures. :)
Thanks,
~Farther

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 07:53:41 am »
That's a nice looking set up.  I like the idea of keeping the salon clear of packs and gear for keeping things neat and convenient. 

Couple of questions - how much space is there between the hatch and the box without your top rack?  Think it's a foot?  I've got a ladder on my hatch that extends just a bit over the bumper, sort of wonder if I could open the box without swinging it away from the hatch.  Could get an extender but don't want it hanging to far back.

Did you use exhaust shield or not a problem?

Also - next time your tinkering with your rack maybe shoot us some pics of it with nothing on it.

Thanks!!

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 09:53:21 am »
I'm guessing about a foot of clearance, maybe slightly less. No problems with the exhaust.  Will post pics when setup for a trip.  Overall… works for me fine…

-tob

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 12:35:03 pm »
I'm guessing about a foot of clearance, maybe slightly less. No problems with the exhaust.  Will post pics when setup for a trip.  Overall… works for me fine…

-tob

Thanks - a foot or so should be enough.  Good news on the exhaust.