Offline duckdive

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Desperate about mpg on 93
« on: August 05, 2015, 08:47:43 pm »
Desperate on my 1993 EV West Weekender.  My initial fill up of my tank after some service (timing belt, water pump, serpentine, fuel system treatment, oil change) seems that I'm still getting pretty poor gas mileage.  It seems to be running fairly well, smooth.
Do you think that resetting the ECU would make any difference?  Are there any fuel system areas prone to leak?

Re: Desperate about mpg on 93
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 11:23:25 pm »
What's your mpg?  I was getting from 13-15 mpg on my last trip (except for 20 mpg coming down from Yosemite), in my '95 EVC.  It's a heavier vehicle and was loaded with stuff and family, but same engine.  Would love to get better too.

Also read on one site that using premium gas caused a substantial increase in gas milage/economy (https://www.poptopheaven.com/about_eurovan.asp).  Are you running on regular or premium?
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

Offline duckdive

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 02:32:10 pm »
Well, here is the good news.  I guess I was a little panicked, and I wanted to stay on top of this issue since I had just gotten my EV back from the shop.  And my gas gauge fluctuates quite a bit during driving. 

In reality, I ended up getting 16.5mpg with a combo of city and highway driving.  So not too bad.

In addition, I met up with a friend who is a VW genius.  We scanned and didn't find any issues.  Also, his 93 had similar values when reading engine stats.

Offline trbowgn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 08:51:35 am »
16.5 is pretty good loaded.  I noticed my gas mileage can fluctuate quite a bit depending on conditions, speed, and load compared to other vehicles.  If I do 55 with a light load it is 22 mpg, put the Kayaks on top and load it up and it drops to around 17 at 55 and 15 at 70.  We are doing our first trip towing our boat this weekend and I am interested to see what that will do for the mileage.

Mine is a 5 speed so I think they get slightly better MPG than the auto but I think the final drive ration is the same so overall hwy should be about the same I would think.
Kyle O.
95 EVC 5cyl 5spd

Offline andrew

• Sounds like a diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 10:45:22 pm »
Desperate, you say? Swap in a TDI  ;D

For what it's worth, on a recent trip from Phoenix up through Misoury to Michigan we got 19.6 average over 5 tanks. On the way back we took I80 through Iowa/Nebraska to I70 and then down through Utah and averaged 21.7.

The way back was the time when the transmission crunched and groaned and we started looking thinking about nearby airports, so it may have been babied a bit more.

At 16mpg you could possibly change your plugs, advance your timing a tad if it hasn't been looked at recently, and drive a bit more carefully. That's probably pretty close to what it's capable of, though, sadly.