Offline lotus54

• View Profile
Brake pad wear sensor (2000)
« on: February 21, 2016, 05:07:04 pm »
The brake pad sensor lamp just came on with my 2000 Eurovan MV.

I looked at the left rear and both fronts.
  Pad have loads left on them.

I have to move a bunch of motorcycles to get the left rear off.

Is that where the rear sensor is located?

That or the sensor is just flakey/rust shorting or something.

I'd try and look it up in the manual, but I hate finding things in that darn thing. Give me a paper manual any day.

Mark

Offline lotus54

• View Profile
Re: Brake pad wear sensor (2000)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:06:39 pm »
I moved stuff around and popped off the LR wheel
Me that is where the pad sensor is located in the rear (at least on mine)

Looks like the pad with the sensor is worn- caliper must be sticking since the outer is good.

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: Brake pad wear sensor (2000)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 07:35:51 pm »
On the 2000 the sensors are on the front left and rear right. There is a wire that goes to the pad undo the connector and check the continuity. It is simply a wire embedded in the pad, when it wears through the circuit is broken the light comes on. If you change the pads and the light does not go off you have a bad wire or connector. You can code off the light with a vag or obd eleven. Just go to 17 (instrument panel) and subtract 1 from the second digit. My coding is 03261 so I would change it to 02261.
My inspection was due on my 2000 and I was planning to buy new rotors and pads but I did not have the time to order and install them. My rotors were worn badly with high ridges and deep scores but the pads had a lot of life left on them.  Rotors are relatively inexpensive now days, I guess that it why nobody want to turn them any more. Years ago every service station had a brake lathe. I jacked up my van put the jack stands under took off the wheels started the van and dropped it in low gear and put a file to the rotors. I passed my inspection the breaks work great and I will order a new set of ceramic pads and drilled cross vented rotors to install as soon as the pad wear light comes on. I have noticed the drilled rotors last longer, run cooler, look nicer, and cost about the same.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 02:36:12 pm by robinson1509 »