Offline evlove

• Always in Repair
    • View Profile
Clunk, Clunk goes the Front Wheel
« on: July 15, 2016, 09:48:05 pm »
So I'm driving down the road, minding my own business, when a pothole jumps in the way of the passenger side wheels. Despite a sharp jolt against the bump stop, a surprised wife (I'd like to think because I never hit potholes, she'd argue that) and some hushed cursing from the driver, all seems well.  Well, until we make a slight left turn and the wheel squats out from under the van followed by a quick stop to the side of the road - thank goodness we were only going 20mph and a block from home. 

A quick look under the van and its obvious the lower ball joint is hanging on to the knuckle by one bolt instead of two.  Two months ago all the ball joints and bushings were replaced (bushing didn't need replacing but they came in a kit from SD) so I didn't want to believe I forgot to torque the bolts.  The walk of shame home and dragging the jack with tools back to the car was almost all my pride could take, after all I'm already the crazy bald dude in the neighborhood who works on his own cars. 

Needless to say, upon inspection the M12 bolt had sheared clean off with the triple-square head looking guilty as it lay next to the water filled pot hole.  Has that happened to anyone before?  I'm pretty surprised one hard bump would shear the bolt, but maybe it weak from previous use. One time use bolts? I didn't replace the bolts with the new lower ball joints but now I feel I should for prevention sake. 

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Although, more than anything, I had to get this off my chest in a public forum.   :-[  :'(
Paul

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
Re: Clunk, Clunk goes the Front Wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 09:26:11 am »
From what I remember (it was awhile since I did ball joints) these bolts are stretch bolts and needs to be replaced.

-albertr