Offline AngryScot

• van/bike camping gear junky
    • View Profile
Sticky interior plastic
« on: December 22, 2015, 11:26:11 am »
My 93MV has some very weird sticky plastic on the cover near the rear bench seat by the sliding door. Cannot figure out how to clean it, used soap and water and a simple green solution.
I have found sugru.com for smaller cracks and missing parts works great and can be blended to match the color of the trim fairly easily.

Offline AngryScot

• View Profile
Re: Sticky interior plastic
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 03:54:48 pm »
much of interior is sticky, cannot seem to find a eurvan related search on samba or the like. My beetle has a similar issue but that is easily removed as a coating. guess it is guess time with some nasty solvent stuff that won't go through the plastic!

Offline Teshin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 07:08:58 pm »
I researched this same problem on my 93.  It turns out that the plastic itself is bad and will continue to disintegrate and will remain sticky. VW apparently knows about the problem.  I've thought about trying to repaint or seal the plastic somehow but haven't had time yet.

Offline AngryScot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 03:53:12 pm »
will need to experiment myself too, since it is sticky maybe some 3m wrap might work best, can even get it in wood design or plain colors. I doubt a paint would work but never tried it.

Offline AngryScot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 03:00:17 pm »
curious if I just apply decals on all the interior stick plastic. Going to test it soon and will update with results.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 07:54:12 am »
How about a few coats of plastdip?

Offline AngryScot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 02:37:04 pm »
How about a few coats of plastdip?
My concern with paint is the surface is never dry so how the paint will cure properly? might be worth a try, I don't have a extra piece to experiment on. Still not gotten to the decal test yet either!