Offline my_bmw_sucks

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: Lifting a t4 advice
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 11:11:48 am »
I'm at a loss. Used tons of brake clean/wire brush and penetrating oil. I might just replace the whole nut and bolt to make it easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 11:30:55 am »
50/50 mix of acetone and ATF

Best bolt breaker out there. Google it ;)
Cole

Offline mastersryan!

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 07:59:15 am »
Any progress?
1993 VW Eurovan MV Weekender 2.5L 5spd

Offline my_bmw_sucks

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 06:07:27 pm »
Never checked back on this. I ended up pulling the bolt out and cleaning the crap out of it. On installation, when the bolt wanted to rotate out of the mount, I put a jack under the tire to add load. When it got too hard to turn the bolt I would lower the jack a bit making sure there still pressure on the bolt so it wouldn't rotate but where I could then turn the nut a bit more.

Offline my_bmw_sucks

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Lifting a t4 advice
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 03:28:46 pm »
Gah, back at it. Installed 1.5" spacers at the back. Lifted the driver side front. But that damn torsion adjusting bolt on the passenger side front just wants to rotate out of its cradle. I got a little over stock ride height and now I'm pulling what's left of my hair out. I guess it's time to bite the bullet and by the gowesty deep 27mm.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 08:06:32 am by my_bmw_sucks »

Offline Gypsymobile

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 01:17:27 pm »
Hey folks, Noobie EVW owner here...

I'm looking to lift my ride as well.

Just purchased a set of 225/60/16 -102s, and am hunting for either a set of Billies or Foxes to upgrade the suspension.

From what I understand, is that I'll need to adjust the torsion bars in the front, and add spacers to the back..

What other considerations or adjustments have to made to the vehicle in order to successfully accomplish a "proper" Lift?

Thanks !
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:20:08 pm by Gypsymobile »

Offline my_vw_sucks

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 02:55:56 pm »
From what I understand, is that I'll need to adjust the torsion bars in the front, and add spacers to the back..

That pretty much covers it.

Offline billymiller

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 03:34:19 pm »
FWIW - I installed 1.5" spacers and went with the GW Fox shocks and have found a less than desirable ride up front - the rears feel great, but the front feels underdamped - very soft.

Fox has no real solution for this aside from revalving the shocks which may or may not correct the feel the van has.

GoWesty's advice for me on this  was that using the torsion bar to achieve a lift in the front results in the suspension feeling soft with little rebound control. They suggest only lifting the front high enough to achieve the necessary wheel clearance.

Plenty of others on here have done this lift, but I have yet to hear of this issue being common, unless anyone out there has something to add to this??

Offline SWSL

• Rubber tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2017, 01:03:54 pm »
Cole and others know a lot more about torsion bars, but from everything I understand, adjusting ride height on one should not change spring rate but maybe it preloads it more?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_bar_suspension

Unless it's just fatigued, it seems that it should behave about the same, if not stiffer.

I lifted my old Nissan truck in the rear by adding leafs to the pack and then adjusted the front torsion bars to level and that worked fine. If the ride changed any, it was stiffer, but never really noticed.   Different vehicle, of course.

About to do the same on my new EVW, will report back.

Steve
On the road or at the beach

Offline billymiller

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2017, 10:54:55 am »
Thanks Steve

I've adjusted the front to several different heights, with the only change I THINK being a slight increase in stiffness with the bars tightened (increased ride height) like you said.

So unless I have a problematic torsion bar my money is on the shocks being the culprit for the feel of the suspension.

Hopefully a revalving is all that's needed.

Keep us posted on your results.

Offline SWSL

• Rubber tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2017, 01:36:59 pm »
Yep, seems like the shocks.  I got the Bilstein HDs and will install sometime in July.  Although GoWesty promotes their custom-valved "extra" HD Bilsteins as best even for the Weekender, most report the HDs as being about right for a weekender.

Revalving the Fox shocks could be better than the HDs depending on how much they adjust and how much weight you add.
On the road or at the beach

Offline Theivized

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2022, 12:56:50 am »
Remove any packages or boxes that were loaded into the trunk. Place those items in a safe spot in your home or garage. If you plan on moving certain items, make sure you label the boxes and take note of the contents. Seeing 777