Offline andrew

• Sounds like a diesel
    • View Profile
Engine Mounts
« on: March 09, 2016, 01:44:48 pm »
It took about 1500 miles (and maybe a bit of trailer pulling) to sufficiently wear out the right-side engine mount which I reused from the gasser.

With the idea of cutting down vibrations, I ordered a hydraulic mount for the ABL, but unfortunately made the mistake of getting a >'96 mount. I surmise that the later vans' brackets are mounted higher on the frame, because the mount is a lot taller. It fits, but the engine is unacceptably lower and it vibrates a whole lot more than before.

Should I just replace it with a new stock gasser mount (701199201H) or a plain bonded rubber 90-95 ABL mount (701199201G)? Has anyone else explored options for cutting down vibrations in the cab?

Andrew

Offline andrew

• Sounds like a diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Mounts
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 03:38:06 pm »
I ended up getting an ABL mount, which calmed vibrations a bit (a lot compared to the ill-fitting long-nose mount) but mostly just keeps my engine from rocking around. Finding an M10x110mm bolt rated 10.9 or above is surprisingly difficult.

If anyone ends up needing the >96 mount I have a good Febi one that's already on this side of the pond.

Offline JoshWa

• Wrench fumbler
    • View Profile
    • TDI conversion
Re: Engine Mounts
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 11:15:54 am »
I'm still working on this still as well.  I think i'm going to try next, loosening the two smaller mount bolts on the forward mounts and the single larger rear bolt.  Start it up and hopefully it will vibrate to some sort of center happiness, then re-tighten.  This has been done of some motorcycles to some success.  I don't think its going to completely solve the vibrations, but it couldn't hurt.  I'm currently using the stock mounts for a 93 for all three.