Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
Dashboard Cubby Installation
« on: March 16, 2016, 02:42:07 am »
Part 1: Installation Differences for Eurovans vs T4s

Having now done the installation a few times, I thought I would share some pointers on the installation. First off its important to state that the dashboard cubby was designed to fit european T4 models which have different mounting brackets in place. For us Eurovan owners, it means some of the screw holes/mounts are not used. I can't say whether or not this makes the installation of the cubby less safe or not, but I am very confident that the cubby installs solidly based on my own installations.

The european RHD T4 models have 2 additional brackets behind the glovebox that facilitate the cubby attachment using a total of five M4 screws and one M5 side mounting bolt with a speed nut. In our late model Eurovans (97-04 w/padded dash) those two brackets were not required for the knee bolster mounting, and so the mounting is done with just three M4 screws and one side mounting bolt. The real bonus is that half of the mounting hardware (the 3 required M4 screws) are in the van already and can be repurposed for the cubby installation.

I searched the VW catalog for the missing brackets, but was unable to find them as I believe that one of them is actually welded to the dash's sub frame -- making them part of a different sub-assembly and not individual part numbers. Again, that aside, I'm very confident that these install just as solidly without those brackets being used.

Screw Mount Locations

Showing the five M4 screw mounting positions used in european installation.
NOTE: Only the top three screw positions are used in Eurovan application. The lower left position can be secured with a zip-tie.

European Model Mounting Brackets

European soft-dash (97-03) -- right side bracket shown circled. This bracket receives the horizontal screw from within the cubby (bottom right position in the picture above).
NOTE: This bracket is not required for the cubby installation.

Left-side cubby mounting bracket

Ignore the arrow! You can see this bracket has vertical mounting position, for the bottom-left screw.

Short-nose Bracket Similarity

Interestingly, that right-side bracket (seen on the European models) seems to be very close to what is found in Eurovan hard-dash (90-96) versions. See also on the RHS, the side mounting speed nut/clip location

Eurovan Cubby Side Mounting Bracket (late model with airbag)

The only bracket we need in our application -- used to hold a speed nut/clip and receive the side mounting bolt.

Side Mounting Bolt-Cover

The side mounting bolt cover is hard to find -- and I was told by VW that it's no longer available. They are designed for fitting an M5 Hex head bolt, so if you're going this route then source an appropriate bolt (M5 @ 25-35mm length) and speed nut.  Its the same part that is used on the upper dash, so if you can source one from the junkyard or steal the one from your drivers side! ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:38:02 pm by Itsamoto »

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
Dashboard Cubby Installation II
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 03:55:04 am »
Part 2: Removing the Passenger-Side Knee Bolster
The knee bolster is held in place by 2 bolts on the right had side, and one screw and nut on the left hand side. All of this hardware is hidden, and so the knee bolster side panel and centre console's lower-mid panel must be removed.

Requirements:
  • Phillips Screw Driver
  • 13mm Socket w/Driver

Procedure

1. Start by removing the black panel/shield that is beneath the knee bolster. There should be 2 plastic press-in screws in the front that you pry up and pull out, after which the panel can be unhooked and removed.

2. With the black panel removed, remove the screw that holds the bolster bracket to the centre console's lower panel.

3. Remove the middle panel of the lower centre console (four M4 screws).

4. With the panel removed, use a 13mm socket to loosen and remove the retaining nut (highlighted area) that holds the knee-bolster to the left hand bracket.

5. Remove the knee bolster side panel by locating, and then pressing the small retaining pins inward until they fall out of the panel. Do not just pry the panel loose as it will damage the retaining pins (just in case you'd rather keep your knee bolster).

6. With the pins out, the panel can be swung open and removed.

7. With the side panel removed, use a 13mm socket to remove the last 2 retaining bolts.

8. Remove the knee bolster!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:40:42 pm by Itsamoto »

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
Dashboard Cubby Installation III
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 04:48:36 am »
Part 3: Installing the Dashboard Cubby

Requirements:
  • 1 Eurovan Dashboard Cubby  ;)
  • Phillips Screw Driver
  • 13mm Socket w/Driver
  • Side Mount Hardware Option 1 (OEM): M5x22 Hex Head bolt w/ speed nut/clip and one bolt cover cap (NLA).
  • Side Mount Hardware Option 2 (Lowes) : M8x25-35 bolt w/speed nut/clip.
  • 2 Filister Head Screw: M4x22 (See step 1 below)
  • 1 Filister Head (Eurovan dash panel) Screw: M4x32 (See step 4 below)
  • 1 Zip Tie

Procedure

1. With knee bolster removed, check the black horizontal bracket for two M4x22 filister head screws and remove them. These two screws will be re-used in securing the cubby on the upper left and and upper right screw mounting positions (see image in part 1).

2. Install the speed nut/clip over the plastic tab on the right hand side. Note that if you are using a nut with an extended thread (like I am) that you should face the extension inward as there is very little clearance with the cubby.

3. Position the cubby onto the dashboard. The cubby has two tabs on the back of it along its top edge. Those tabs should sit ontop/above of the notches (shown in step 1) -- fit this first and then rotate the cubby down into position, tucking it behind the weather stripping. The cubby should be snuggly fit in place and the reveal parallel to the bottom of the airbag panel.

4. Fasten the cubby to the dashboard bracket using the top 3 mounting positions.

Note the following screw size/locations as the centre top screw position will need to be a longer M4x32* screw:
  • Top Left: M4x22
  • Top Centre: M4x32*
  • Top Right : M4x22
  • Bottom-Right: NA
  • Bottom-Left: Zip tie to bracket
* This screw can be repurposed from the dash fittings where it is used in less vital/visible locations  -- such as the lower mid panel, or holding the lower cup holder to the centre console.

Eurovan Dash Mounting Screws

Top: M4x32 sourced from lower cup holder
Bottom: M4x22 - sourced from cubby mounting bracket

5. Secure the final mounting bolt through the side of cubby to the speed nut. You should be able to reach in behind the cubby upto the speed nut location to help get it aligned with the bolt. Do not over tighten as the tab is just plastic and could break easily.

Note in this application I am using the M8 bolt and no bolt cover.

6. Reinstall the centre console lower mid panel and the black panel that sat beneath the bolster. The black panel's push-in fittings are not used with cubby, but the panel should still be able to tuck up in behind and then back onto its mounts for a secure position.

Finished and ready to use!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 12:00:25 pm by Itsamoto »

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
Re: Dashboard Cubby Installation
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 04:40:12 pm »
Good stuff! Thanks for posting. I've done a bunch of these but haven't had time to post pictures.

They really transform the late vans. Nice to have a place to put stuff.
Cole

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 06:50:13 pm »
Great post - thanks as pics always help show the way.  Got some speed nuts on order (local suppliers notoriously bad @ fasteners unless you want a nail so went to www.)  Will add experience to this thread when I do mine.

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 12:35:37 pm »
Right on gents! I'm glad its useful! I always find that a little bit of pictures helps get people going.

It was a late-night post and not edited very well -- so I just went through it now and rearranged some stuff and will post it to other forums I sold cubbies on as well.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:43:10 pm by Itsamoto »

Offline Kafercup

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 06:24:55 pm »
Well done, and spot-on with the details.

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 12:02:03 pm »
Looks great!

I still can't get over how clean the interior is too.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 11:37:46 am »
Installed mine yesterday - great instructions! I found a trim tool useful for popping off plastic press in screws and a small punch good for side trim removal and realignment of three speed nuts on top.

Great place to collect need to grabs.

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 10:04:15 am »
Mine arrived glad I have this diy.. I'll attempt this install in the next month

...tapped out with just a thumb

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 03:24:05 pm »
Awesome. I'm thrilled to see how good everyone's interior and install looks.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 07:59:30 pm »
Three days camp & mountain biking WNC last weekend - extra bin gotta a lotta use:

Offline erik.wahlstrom

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 10:12:36 am »
Are there any more of these?

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 11:05:06 am »
Are there any more of these?

Yep, I still got some left. Just email me if you want to get one.

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 10:52:54 pm »
Thankfully I have installed the European cross member behind the dash.  It comes with a little metal flap with holes in it that is made for the inside side bolt of this dashpocket.  I didn't know that when I bought it.. I just got it So I could install a double din radio

Inscribed with just two thumbs...