Offline duckdive

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
How to remove carpet in front of EV
« on: August 07, 2016, 11:55:58 am »
I am removing the front area carpet to install some sound deadener/insulation in the front of my EV. I'm not sure how to get the carpet up around the shifter and the e-brake.
Anybody have advice?

Offline JoshWa

• Wrench fumbler
    • View Profile
    • TDI conversion
Re: How to remove carpet in front of EV
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 09:08:10 am »
You may have done all some of these steps, but I'm listing them all just to cover what I remember.

remove driver and passenger seats
remove the mushroom bolts used to hold the front part of the seat frames to the floor.  Hex drive.
remove the plastic step at the bottom of the doorway.  Kick forward to remove.
remove the 2-3 plastic plugs fastening the carpet to the firewall
remove the bottom part of the dash that connects down to the floor

Now it's all mechanically detached from the van.  Now, where your feet would normally land on the floor when sitting in the seats, the carpet is glued down with a black substance.  It will rip away parts of the bottom the the carpet.  I didn't go as far as pulling that off, since I was just looking to work around that area, so you'll need to get creative on how you want to pull that off.  Could possibly heat and scrape.

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 09:40:35 am »
Here's a few pics that might help as well:

Bill
1993 Syncro Weekender (5 speed Manual)

Offline duckdive

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 02:31:51 pm »
Thank you.  I'm almost there.  One of the hex bolts on the driver's seat is being troublesome/may be stripped.  I may have to take the seat rails off to get better leverage or use some a wrench/pliers of some sort.

Thanks for the photos.  Very helpful.

Offline JoshWa

• Wrench fumbler
    • View Profile
    • TDI conversion
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 03:13:10 pm »
You shouldn't have to remove the seats from the rails to get them off the floor.  There are two bolts to the rear of frame that the seat is mounted atop of.  You remove those two bolts, then shove the whole seat/lower frame backward to get the front end off the mushroom bolts. 

On a side note with the bolts that hold the rails to the seats.  They can work themselves out and cause problems with adjusting the seat forward and back.  When you get the seats out, make sure those are all nice and tight.

Offline duckdive

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 03:35:13 pm »
Whoa.  You may have just made my day.  I'll try that this evening.

Offline duckdive

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 07:47:37 pm »
The carpet is removed.  Thank you for clarifying about the mushroom bolts/hex.  I was able to slide back after knowing that.

But, now a follow up... I have a small hose that looks like a condensation run off, but I want to confirm before I put all back together.  It was clogged with dust, sludge... and I think it was backed up and leaking under carpet because of the clog.  I'm cleaning up the mess and cleaning the small tube to ensure proper flow.  Then some FatMat is going down.

Can anybody confirm that is a condensation run off? or identify it.  It is show detached in the photo... with sludge.

Offline JoshWa

• Wrench fumbler
    • View Profile
    • TDI conversion
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 08:54:43 pm »
Sorry, I'm not experienced with what that hose is.  You'll have to share what you did to remove the carpet that was stuck down.  Thanks.

Offline duckdive

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 11:01:41 pm »
Mine wasn't glued down.  I was curious what was going to happen.  It looks like there may have been something, but it came up very easily.  Didn't take any of the plastic/foam off the bottom of the carpet.

Guess I'm luck.

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 08:53:10 am »
Mine didn't have the small hose there when I removed my carpet.  The one bit of info I can share though is that this is the location VW ran it's condensation line for the Vanagon Behr in-dash AC system.  I wouldn't be surprised if the in-dash AC system from a '93 Eurovan would be similar. 

I have a small hose that looks like a condensation run off, but I want to confirm before I put all back together.  It was clogged with dust, sludge... and I think it was backed up and leaking under carpet because of the clog.  I'm cleaning up the mess and cleaning the small tube to ensure proper flow.  Then some FatMat is going down.

Can anybody confirm that is a condensation run off? or identify it.  It is show detached in the photo... with sludge.
Bill
1993 Syncro Weekender (5 speed Manual)