Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Project '99
« on: November 30, 2016, 07:41:23 pm »
I took my '99 off the road about a year ago when i got my 2000. The clearcoat started peeling off and rust started showing up in the usual places so I decided I would make it my winter project. I started with the rocker.
Then I stripped the clearcoat on the hood and roof. the chips on the hood had to be feathered out primmed and block sanded.
The roof took about 8 hours to strip the clear and sand. The coutours have to be hand sanded.
There was a lot of blister rust on the tailgate.
And some under the bumper.
There were a few small dents.
So far I have spent close to 100 hours block sanding.
On spots that have bare metal I primed with a light coat of etching primer, then build up with a few coats of 2k urathane.
The pillar stickers were not too bad but I decided to strip them off.
I pulled off the front and rear bumper and I decided to replace both bumper reinforcements. I was surprised with the extent of the corrosion because the undercarrage is relatively free of rust.

Started removing brake and suspension rust.
And removing factory chip gaurd under rockers
The cold weather and impending holiday slowing my progress.
De rusting rear brakes and suspension.
I have spent four days on my back sanding priming and painting the undercarrage. I started in the rear and I have made my way to the frame cross member where the swing arms attach.
I started de rusting the right suspension
I found some rust in the wheel well so I went to work patching
I am old school I prefer to gas weld most of the time, this time I wish I had used the mig. While I was welding I had an unfortunate incident. The seam sealer caught on fire and burned up my cab carpet and passenger door panel..
Soo careless. I found a carpet replacement with lh drive in the uk but it does not have the step up behind the front seats. I think I found a doner with good interior.
Took off the right fender a lot of debris between the fender and inner well.
...And the left.

I removed the factory chip gaurd/ seam sealer below the slider door and eliminated some hidden rust.
And repaired small dents on rocker.
Started derusting the last wheel.

Did some priming today.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:36:20 pm by robinson1509 »

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
Re: Project '99
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:06:39 pm »
What are you using for rust removal? Wire wheel? Looks pretty good when you are done!

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Project '99
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 04:19:02 pm »
I took my '99 off the road about a year ago when i got my 2000. The clearcoat started peeling off and rust started showing up in the usual places so I decided I would make it my winter project. I started with the rocker.
Then I stripped the clearcoat on the hood and roof. the chips on the hood had to be feathered out primmed and block sanded.
The roof took about 8 hours to strip the clear and sand. The coutours have to be hand sanded.
There was a lot of blister rust on the tailgate.
And some under the bumper.
There were a few small dents.
So far I have spent close to 100 hours block sanding.
On spots that have bare metal I primed with a light coat of etching primer, then build up with a few coats of 2k urathane.
The pillar stickers were not too bad but I decided to strip them off.
I pulled off the front and rear bumper and I decided to replace both bumper reinforcements. I was surprised with the extent of the corrosion because the undercarrage is relatively free of rust.

Started removing brake and suspension rust.
And removing factory chip gaurd under rockers
The cold weather and impending holiday slowing my progress.
De rusting rear brakes and suspension.
I have spent four days on my back sanding priming and painting the undercarrage. I started in the rear and I have made my way to the frame cross member where the swing arms attach.
I started de rusting the right suspension
I found some rust in the wheel well so I went to work patching
I am old school I prefer to gas weld most of the time, this time I wish I had used the mig. While I was welding I had an unfortunate incident. The seam sealer caught on fire and burned up my cab carpet and passenger door panel..
Soo careless. I found a carpet replacement with lh drive in the uk but it does not have the step up behind the front seats. I think I found a doner with good interior.
Took off the right fender a lot of debris between the fender and inner well.
...And the left.

I removed the factory chip gaurd/ seam sealer below the slider door and eliminated some hidden rust.
And repaired small dents on rocker.
Started derusting the last wheel.

Did some priming today.
Ready for paint,  emerald  pearl green paint code 47503
    Finally got to paint. All weekend non stop.
    And after nearly a year it is finally done.

And now I have to decide which one to drive.

https://youtu.be/0wasLwvePy4
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:40:55 pm by robinson1509 »

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 04:37:55 pm »
What are you using for rust removal? Wire wheel? Looks pretty good when you are done!
On the suspension parts I start with a needle scaler then use a knotted wire wheel with a right angle grinder, for tight spots I will hit it with a siphon cup sandblaster, and flat pieces a flap disk.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:42:48 pm by robinson1509 »

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 11:45:33 pm »
Thank you for the reply. I've used everything except a needle scaler. I might have to pick one of those up and give it a try.

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 08:15:34 pm »
Thank you for the reply. I've used everything except a needle scaler. I might have to pick one of those up and give it a try.
I also use a spray bottle with white vinegar to help break the rust and keep the dust down when I use the wire wheel. Then after the rust is gone I scrub it with a parts brush and lacquer thinner before I paint.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:17:51 pm by robinson1509 »

Offline gabner

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 02:54:44 am »
For small components, I soak them for a couple of days in a plastic tub filled with a few gallons of vinegar then rinse them off with water.

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 11:07:32 am »
Thanks guys! Vinegar is something else I haven't used. I'll have to play with both ideas next time I'm dealing with rust.

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 04:07:08 pm »
Okay, needle scalers range in price drastically. Do you have a recommendation? Thanks.

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 04:59:30 pm »
Okay, needle scalers range in price drastically. Do you have a recommendation? Thanks.
I think I paid about $40.00 for the needle scaler, I'm not sure how much I paid for the air chisel I have had it for a long time.