change or not- trans fluid in high milage 2002
« on: February 02, 2017, 08:41:37 am »
Bought a 2002 Eurovan based Winnebago Itasca Sunstar with 90K. There areno service records from the past three ownerships but I did run a CARFAX and it was serviced regularly at a VW dealer up to 50K. After that??  I have changed oil and air filters and want to change trans fluid but the VW mechanic and another mechanic says I shouldn't change because it would "thin out" the protective coating on internal parts. I have regularly changed the fluid on my 02 weekender since new and will continue that. But not knowing the service history of this camper and the advice I've received I'm stuck as what to do about a trans fluid change-or not. Anyone here have some experience that can help with a decision?
Thanks all.
Spencer
02 weekender
02 Winnebago Itasca.

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
Re: change or not- trans fluid in high milage 2002
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 01:41:03 pm »
I don't know about thinning it out -- were you thinking of using another spec of tran oil?

If it were mine, I would do it and the ATF filter -- to "zero" the age of all the fluids you can - oil, coolant, ATF.  Start a new maintenance log from that and track your changes.

When the fluid is drained from the transmission - you might as well inspect the gasket/ring seal on the multi-function/range switch connector -- mine suffered a slow leak from this.

Re: change or not- trans fluid in high milage 2002
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 12:53:53 pm »
Yeah, that's my intention to start my own service history. I am going to use the recommended VW oem parts and fluid. Now to find a shop that knows how to properly service the trans and has a lift capable of handling this motorhome.