Before I break something - simple battery swap
« on: February 04, 2017, 11:30:47 am »
Wow - I'm posting what feels foolish!!  How in the heck does this fuse box "unclip and tilt forward?"

2003 MV

I'm fiddled out....

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
Re: Before I break something - simple battery swap
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 12:28:30 pm »
I think I know what you are looking for. We are looking at the battery under the driver's seat on a westy, right? Outside in the front portion of the seat pedestal are a couple slots in the plastic, put a screwdriver or something similar in them and push up. that will unhook the clips and let it hinge down.... I hope I get what you are asking for..... :-)

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 01:17:53 pm »
Thanks for response - but I was switching the main, not the aux.  Nice to know that will have some fun when the time comes though  8)

So - pull straight up on plastic fuse box like you are going to lift the front end of the van into the air.  It will release.  Outside temps low 40s no breakage but no warranty on this method.  Brute force is usually a looser for me but enough was enough ;D

Have a really long extension on your ratchet.  Might actually be able to get there without removing fuse box. just burrow in dead center front of battery through the rats nest.

Make sure before you replace battery the bracket fastener has started to thread or you will get to puzzle piece the battery in twice.  Geeze. :P

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 02:32:48 pm »
I see it now! That's why things didn't look quite right. I was trying really hard to make that look like the battery area under the driver's seat. :-)
That fuse box must be a 2001 and newer box? It's not on our '99. Regardless, glad you got it!