Offline gabner

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: GW Fox Shocks.
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 12:43:08 am »
Just reviving this old thread as I'm curious about Fox shocks. My rig has bilstein shocks and I have no problems with them. Smooth ride quality and there's only very little wiggle or no wiggle at all when hitting potholes.  I'm curious if Fox is really worth the cost? Just curious here because I'm thinking of upgrading my shocks.

Offline mech23

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2017, 03:26:19 pm »
I've had the GW Fox shocks on my weekender for about a year. Well, the fronts have been on the whole time. I went back to Bilstein on the rear within a month. I don't think the Fox shocks have near enough rebound damping. I'm going pull the fronts back off (re-installing Bilsteins) and send both front and rear sets back to Fox to get them revalved. They are a smooth ride, but not nearly enough rebound control. I have the front torsion bars adjusted to level the van with .75" spacers on the rear springs. From what I've read, my case is the outlier, most people seem really happy with Fox shocks.

Offline billymiller

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 09:02:57 pm »
I've had my Fox shocks on for 6 months now and have had the same experience as you mech23 - I've reached out to Fox about having them adjusted/revalved, but have not heard back yet.  What was your experience with this? Cost? Did this fix the issue for you?

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 11:07:36 pm »
Anyone have problems with squeaks with the Fox Shocks? My front, passenger's side won't stop. I've white lithium greased it like crazy. It works for a little but then the squeak comes back...... I'm frustrated and just hoping someone has had the problem and fixed it! :-) Thanks.

Offline billymiller

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2017, 10:14:05 am »

Rcowan I haven't had this experience with squeaking in my Fox shocks - prior to doing the shocks which included doing upper and lower ball joints, I did have a nagging squeak. Not sure if it was the old shocks or the ball joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2017, 04:21:06 pm »
BillyMiller, thank you for the reply. My ball joints are fairly new so I don't think that's it.

However, I think I found the issue though. I don't have too many miles on the fix but it's quiet so far. First, GoWesty's instructions were a bit weak in my opinion and I couldn't figure out what a few extra rubber washers were for. The attached picture that I found on their site yesterday helped me.... a lot. Don't leave the washers the red arrow is pointing at or you will get a squeak once the shock eye moves down to the control arm. :)

Offline billymiller

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2017, 02:14:52 pm »
Nice detective work! Thanks for that. Yeah my set came with zero instructions, luckily I saved the extra parts

Offline Veejdub

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2017, 12:32:55 pm »
New to the forum. Which Bilsteins
do you prefer or have on you van? I have an 03 Weekender and looking to swap out the stock shocks. GoWesty has HD and XHD. Just curious about others experiences. Thanks

Offline billymiller

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2017, 02:53:02 pm »
I personally haven't heard of any bad experiences either way with the Bilsteins, but don't have any first hand experience with them myself - I went with the GW Fox shocks and so far I'm not impressed, especially given the price. I am going to be sending the fronts back to Fox for revalving ($35 per shock), to see if that helps improve the ride.