Offline EV2003NC

• Camps Mountains to Coast
    • View Profile
AGM Battery?
« on: July 11, 2020, 08:45:19 pm »
Hi, I am new to this forum and purchased my 2003 Weekender about two months ago.  Before purchase I researched VW experts-- as I was buying an EV that needed some work-- and chose a shop based on review referrals.  I had no battery issues before taking into the service center and when I checked out, I was told I needed a new battery.  In fact, they had to jump start the car to get me home. I went straight home, and a few hours later when I tried to start it, it was so dead that neither my jumper box or jumping with a Ford Expedition could get it started.  I pulled the battery and went to Autozone.  AZ remarked that this battery was not even a year old but I bought a new one anyway--their best Platinum AGM. 

I had to take the EV back to this shop for some scheduled follow-up work and when I picked it up, they had written this on my invoice/records: "When attempting to bring the car inside battery was completely dead. Jump started fine however battery would not hold a charge. Battery that customer installed was AGM which is not correct for this vehicle. AGM batteries require special infrastructure within the charging system to operate as designed. Recommend replacing battery with standard type battery." 

AZ swapped my AGM for a standard.  Anyone else have problems with AGM compatibility?
2003 Eurovan Weekender
Former: 81 Westfalia Vanagon, 2004 New Beetle