Offline afmoa

• View Profile
Cole Ford's super awesome Sprinter build (aka Iron Van)
« on: May 18, 2015, 06:21:36 am »
I spent two hours last night reading this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=999332

Wow.  Just wow.

Anybody want to trade a 03 EV GLS for a Sprinter?   ;D

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
Re: Cole Ford's super awesome Sprinter build (aka Iron Van)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 06:27:02 am »
Haha....thanks :)
Cole

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 06:40:54 pm »
More cool work is about to happen to the Sprinter :P

I'm pretty excited about this. Today I got the front half of the VanCompass 2" lift kit for the T1N Sprinter.

Obviously I was pushing the boundaries of what can be run on a 3500 Sprinter with my 235/85/16s and minor trimming. It was a CLOSE fit but has worked. I would like to have a little extra clearance all the way around. At the tires and under the van.

Here is just a teaser shot. I'll get to work on this hopefully soon.

Cole

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 08:42:16 am »
I've been dreaming of doing a lift and ultimately a 4x4 conversion on my Sprinter from day one. There just weren't the right parts available and I haven't been ambitious enough to put together buy own kit.

Many of you may remember the original quest to run bigger tires on my Sprinter In this link here

The cliff note version is this quote from myself below.  Notice how much bigger the tires I have now are compared to the ones I started with on the 3500.

After running this set up now for about 30K miles I've been very happy with it! I don't have rub issues except on the sway bar I added in the front at full lock. BUT...........the fit is VERY TIGHT! I would like to have more room in there and a more aggressive look.

Quote from: Cole;277885
Figured someone had to step outside the box here and "go big or go home":lol:

Full disclaimer, these don't fit......yet:tongue: They rub the rear edge of the front and wreak fenders but there looks to be plenty of space for my to play with my cut off wheel:crazy: I knew this was going to be the case.....but bought the van to have fun with so here goes!!!!:thumbup:

Just didn't have time to start the fab work today.

235/85/16s

We test fit them and there was about an inch between the duals!

https://vancompass.com Just introduced a new "lift kit" and skid plates for the Sprinter!!:thumbs: 

I live in the Colorado rockies and have ventured to some crazy places in my Sprinter as it is. So I'm excited to get a little more room under it.

At this very moment VanCompass is only making the from 2" lift for my 3500. We have been working together to get a rear kit done too:thumb:(They just didn't have a 3500 to work with) They are also working on kits for the newer Sprinters so I figured this might be a good place to have a general discussion about lifts on the Sprinters in general.

VanCompass did such a detailed set of install instructions and a video on their site HERE That I figured a detailed "install" thread wasn't really necessary:lol:But I will include a few pictures and details of my own experience doing it.

I just started installing the front and I'm excited to see how it works out.

Here is the required "before" side shot of my front wheel fitment. The inner fenders have been *slightly* trimmed. I know this looks like it must rub, but it doesn't even in the deepest snow.

Here is what comes in the front kit. There are two spacers for the front sub frame. Two engine mount spacers to keep the engine in the right spot and two spacers for the upper part of the struts. (and bolts).

Of course there was no way the neon green was going to look right on my burgundy Sprinter. So I had them Powder coated to a better color! I honestly would have been fine with grey or black but as long as I was having them done doing a color that was a bit more fun was in order. :laughing:

I'm doing this on the floor of my shop space with pretty basic tools. Having 2 jacks will make life much easier.

You have to pull the control arms off to reach the sub frame bolts. But it only took us about 2 hours to get to this point of having the subframe spacers installed.

I stopped here for the moment to wait for parts.  My van drove great but one of my front struts was totally dead:dunno:  I decided to do all the brakes, struts and tie-rods while I had the van this far apart. It needed those parts anyway. :thumb:
Cole

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 06:16:10 pm »
Got a little more time to play with my own van today.

Installed the main part of the VanCompass engine skid plate. my brush guard interferes with it So I'm going to have to revisit this at a later date to find a way have this and a light bar/bumper co-exist. Ultimately I need a front receiver and would prefer a complete bumper replacement.

This was a super easy bold on and even having the main part only with the interference is better than not having it at all. Not sure if its my imagination but the van does seem a tad quieter going down the road and even just idling.

I also took off my cargo box and added my 78" wide yakima bars and a Goal Zero Boulder 90 solar panel. Its mounted to the rack at the moment so that I can transfer it to a Eurovan if I want and also to let air flow under it to keep it cool.

Also built a new test platform for my hammocks that I make and sell. The hammocks are super HD and easily fold out of the way to carry cargo/motorcycles/etc. We carry wet paddle boards on them all summer and the water just drains through the hammock. Great to lay/sleep in on a hot day. But some people (including my wife) want a more "bed like" feel on long trips. So I made a folding wood insert and foam topper. Now it feels just like a bed at night but the foam mattress and wood insert fold away with the hammock when you want to haul gear!!! So it works as a hammock, real bed and folds out of the way entirely for gear hauling.  You can see how flat the hammock looks here. Keeps the total thickness in the van down to only a few inches which maximizes the over all cargo height even with the bed in place. The picture is slightly deceptive since the foam is doubled over right now, its actually almost half as thick than the picture shows.

Cole

Offline plancaster

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 12:48:53 pm »
Very glad I ran across your sprinter as I'm headed down the same path with my sprinter. Mine is an 04 3500 with the duals. Mine is also a rv conversion from new, a company called Elk automotive did it. Do you have any recommendations for me. I'll do the VC 2'' front lift for sure. You think I need to do the back? My van has low miles 68k. Should I do struts or only as needed? You put the sway bar in. Is this something I should do as well?I've got the 15'' rims with the 195's like you had. I'll go the 16'' rims with bfg 235's. Did you do load range D?  Looks like I can do any sprinter 6 lug on 205 5.5 wide? Anything you would have done different or if you have any thoughts it would be greatly appreciated. I know I've asked a lot I just want it to be done correct..
Thank you,
Palmer

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 01:18:04 pm »
I have no regrets on that van.

If you don’t have a front seat bar, add one. It transforms the van. So much more stable in wind and cornering.

The HD RV shocks at the rear got rid of the side to side rocking entering and exiting parking lots.

16 wheels with load E tires is a great option. Keeps the sidewall reasonable height and stiffer for accurate handling.

Cole

Offline plancaster

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 08:27:19 pm »
What did you do for rims? Apparently mine are stud centered. They use a tapered washer. The 16'' 18hole rims like you have seem to be hub centered. Did you machine the holes or...?
Thanks
Palmer

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 08:52:35 pm »
The wheels and bolts are from a 2007+ Sprinter. No modification to the wheels needed.
Cole