Offline my_vw_sucks

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: Show us your stereo!
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2017, 11:01:26 am »
The solution is finally here!!! This unit just came out and is perfect for the Eurovan!!

I just installed this in a custom build van. (Not fully installed in the picture, just the test fit)

It's does NOT require cutting the dash bar!!!!

Woot!!! Finally.

Offline wajacobs

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2017, 09:25:23 am »
Those Sony XAV-AX100 installs look tight.  I've been looking to install on double DIN in my 2002 EV-W but I'm no willing to cut anything that's structural behind the dash.  How difficult is the install?  Are there any special bezel pieces I should consider beforehand?  Thanks in advance for any input.  -wes

Offline Phaeton

• Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2017, 07:33:17 am »
The trim plate around the radio itself is a generic VW fit kit.

The lower trim is just the stock trim cut down.

In the event you wanted to get the factory lower trim part w/o cutting it - 7D1 820 075 01C
Pulled from: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7019310-Volk-L-Stereo&p=86069402

Offline Nelmer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2017, 09:36:34 am »
I installed this in my EV last December and i'm still satisfied with it: https://www.amazon.com/Android-1024x600-Navigation-Bluetooth-Hotspot/dp/B01MCVP5HD/ I know it was a bit of a gamble going for a Chinese head unit in terms of quality and performance, but I would ultimately recommend it.

Pros

-it's a Single DIN head unit, with 8 inch touch screen (7 inch and 10.1 available too) no need to modify the trim, and the screen is mounted with adjustable brackets so it could be raised and lowered as needed to preference. Also, it was essentially plug and play with the stock harness (will still need an adapter for the radio antenna)

-with a built-in android operating system (5.1.1 standard, but 6.0.1 is on it's way), so you can download your preferred navi system (I use android auto/ Waze (32gb of internal storage, with microSD expandability to load music/videos). You can also pair a bluetooth OBD-II reader to read MIL codes (Torque app comes free)

-startup time is about 2 seconds after initial boot up (2 wires had to be switched on the wiring harness to make sure it didn't always shut all the way down, but rather stay a lower power mode)

-adjustable LED colors for touch panel on side

-has 2 USB ports in the rear, one can even be used with a dashcam which can be purchased separately, though both can be used to charge phone/ plug in a flash drive for more storage. Also has available connection for a backup camera if you're so interested.

Cons

- a constant internet connection makes the head unit infinitely better, best used with a mobile WiFi hotspot since you now have a giant android tablet that just so happens needs to be filled up with gasoline from time to time. It can connect to the wifi at my home, but i just need to make sure i'm parked close.

- bluetooth connectivity is fine, and there is a built in microphone on the screen, but it's probably best to mount the external microphone somewhere in the cabin (I ended up sacrificing the blank panel/dummy switch to make space for the microphone/ usb port, still have mixed feelings about that). The bluetooth software itself is also different than other android devices in such a way that you cannot escape the call screen when you are in the middle of a phone call (i'll make a disclaimer and to say I do not do this when driving).

- because of the larger screen the headunit will...stick out. And the faceplate behind the screen is silver so it can be noticeable from certain angles,

- also, glare can be an issue especially on bright days. I just bought a generic antiglare film that i'll be cutting to fit to see if it helps

- the touch panel on the side is slow to respond to touch, also the power button that is on the top left acts only as a mute button rather than turning off the device completely, would have really preferred a knob/ physical buttons

- I don't have any apple devices so I cannot give accurate comment if there are any issues with them when using the headunit, though I wouldn't imagine there would be

Please let me know if there are any questions I can answer for you. Disclaimer, I do not work for Joying or Amazon in any way and and just wanted to give some honest feedback. After installing this, I feel that this was the biggest simple interior upgrade for the van and made long road trips that much better.

Offline mkscott2

• There's nothing you can't do
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2017, 07:37:02 am »
Nelmer: Thank you for your addition to this growing list of options!  I was looking at those systems online, thinking that the 7" screen could possibly sit flush in the dash as the Sony AX100 does.  As such, this leads me to wondering about the wire connection between the unit and the screen.  Do you think it would be possible to seat the entire unit (if we went with the 7" screen) flush, perhaps with a little modification to the screen bracket?  Would you be willing to supply a picture of that connection set-up?

Update to the above statement: Never-mind my questions there Nelmer!  I popped on Joying's website, found a bunch of pictures of the wire connection/length and the bracket they use for mounting.  Also found the screen dimensions, and it appears that the 7" screen would seat perfectly into the dash.  I'm now seriously considering this option due to the flexibility of the unit.  Love the fact that it has Torque pre-loaded, and it can pretty much run any other app that I am interested in using in the car for now.  However, I am still wondering about the following:

I really like the idea of having a double-din screen available for navigation, but as I'm driving the van (pretty new to us), I am wondering if the stock dash location is ideal.  As I type, I'm realizing that part of my problem is that I am 6'4", so I already sit pretty high in the rig.  For those who have some sort of navigation in the location of the stock stereo, can you comment on how much of an issue is created by being so far out of the line of sight?  Thinking a "safer" location for a screen like this might actually be sitting on the dash?  Totally open to thoughts here!

mike
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 07:25:10 am by mkscott2 »

Offline Simsie

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2017, 07:42:31 pm »
For the Sony XAV install what parts are needed? Is there a particular cage that is needed? Also, has anyone installed a rear view camera setup with this? I'm super excited that this would work without cutting the crossbar.

Offline SWSL

• Rubber tramp
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2017, 10:38:48 pm »
Nelmer:   I am wondering if the stock dash location is ideal.  ...how much of an issue is created by being so far out of the line of sight?  Thinking a "safer" location for a screen like this might actually be sitting on the dash?
mike

I just traveled to pick up my "new" EV and took my first road trip home.  First thing after buying it, I mounted my cell for navigation.  I snagged a cheap (but strong) vent mounted magnet at Walmart and it's worked well mounted on the far left center vent.  Keeps the cell cool too.  Reduced air flow is acceptable there.

For me, the position just right of the steering wheel and around dash height seems best for a screen in my various vehicles.  To the degree that it's lower or further to the right, I'm losing functionality, access and/or eyes too far off the road.

So, it seems that the double DIN spot will not be very good for navigation. Too far, like you said.  I will probably do it anyway,  because , where else can the stereo go? - if you want a clean pro looking install, that is.

And if the NAV screen distance proves to be as compromised as I expect, then I can always keep my cell on the vent for that.   The installed screen will still be useful for everything else, it's the modern I/O.

What do you guys who already have screens installed in the stereo zone think?  Safe and comfortable for navigation?
On the road or at the beach

Offline Phaeton

• Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2017, 02:12:26 am »
For the Sony XAV install what parts are needed? Is there a particular cage that is needed? Also, has anyone installed a rear view camera setup with this? I'm super excited that this would work without cutting the crossbar.

Just use the double din cage for a MKIV GTi or Jetta. It'll work fine. Some cutting and trimming of the bracket will be required, but its super minor work that I managed with just some scissors and sandpaper. I'm using a backup camera, its pointed a bit too downward, but its okay for my uses.

The reverse camera signal is on a 10 pin white connector, pin 7 on a black and blue wire. The connector is located behind the fusepanel on the driver side. I haven't tackled integrating the signal however.

Offline Tim$2

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2017, 08:15:14 pm »
Pioneer AVH-X7700BT

Offline bblume

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2020, 12:57:52 pm »
Just use the double din cage for a MKIV GTi or Jetta. It'll work fine. Some cutting and trimming of the bracket will be required, but its super minor work that I managed with just some scissors and sandpaper.

So you need the cage...but what about the trim piece?