OBD Error Codes - Whatcha Got, Whatcha Know?
« on: June 16, 2015, 06:54:33 am »
I'll start this out with a code thrown at me yesterday PO118 - it was 95 degrees here in ATL and the AXK EV ran great.  Did about 30mins highway, a few hours in the gym and when leaving started motor and immediately got MIL.  Ran fine, 30mins home.  Coolant temp gauge functioning as normal and in normal range.  Did scan this morning and cleared code.  Motor starts but will not stay running - cuts out after a second or two.  Error code is not reactivating in the brief time motor is running.

I'm rebooting the ECM now, disconnected battery.  Going to try to start again in an hour or two.  Anyone have experience with this? 

Good write up here:  http://www.obd-codes.com/p0118

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
Re: OBD Error Codes - Whatcha Got, Whatcha Know?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:01:09 am »
There seems to be some consensus that VW used to use a blue-top coolant temp sensor that can be problematic -- and the solution for this has been to replace it with a "green-top" sensor. That might be the place to start troubleshooting -- verify the condition of the temp sensor.

http://www.vwforum.com/forums/f15/diy-easy-12v-mkiv-vr6-coolant-temp-sensor-diy-10-30-mins-50298/

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 08:47:47 am »
Great article - thanks for that link!  Explains starting behavior this morning.  Will order up some parts - I think I've got it pinned down on Europarts but am going to wait until they open to be sure.  Bentley's says always replace ECT Sensor G62 with ECT Sensor G2 (not sure if dropping the '6' is intentional there or not.)

Here's a link to sensor swap on an AKX, do not forget to order O ring and plastic retainer clip for another $2.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4765057-Eurovan-coolant-temp-sensor-replacement

I'll post up the PO441 solution I used later this week.

http://europarts-sd.com/sensor-coolanttemperature1999-2003.asp

Afternoon update -

I hooked the battery back up and EV cranks and stays running - no MIL.  Didn't drive it around, heading out on a work trip in renta-rig.  Did order up parts for swap.  Also noted the detail write up link was for 12V not 24V so expect there may be a few deltas in procedure but great advice and with parts bill of $17 pretty low risk spend.

Following fix update -

So it's been 500k (EV originated in CAN) since the dreaded 'black plastic' temp sensor has been swapped out with new an improved 'green plastic' temp sensor and no MIL.  I'm feeling pretty good that the old piece was junk.  I tried for a dissection of the retired but pretty much just busted to pieces as I brought no grace and only force to the process.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:38:14 pm by Suthernvanman »

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 06:06:10 am »
I did a fly and buy last August - Des Moines to Atlanta for my EV with a planned camp in Land Between the Lakes KY.  I had been EV hunting for quite a time and this one had only 40k miles as it was a '3rd car.'  Nearing my overnight stay after 550 trouble-free miles the MIL illuminated.   :-*

The code was P0441 - Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow.  I cleared it and passed emissions to get the EV registered in GA.  P0441 continued to intermittently trip for the next several months (sometimes I'd go a several weeks without) before I decided to chase it down.

I found a 2011 post on the Bentley T4 Tech Discussion forum and it proved accurate.  http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/thread.jspa?threadID=43647

There is a micro filter in front of the N80 valve that you might check as preventative next time you are under the hood - it's super easy access.  Mine was filled with very fine carbon powder and clearly inhibiting the purge flow.  No P0441 since.

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 10:32:58 am »
Ross-tech and Bentley Publishers both have good lists of the VW Error codes.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/vw/vw.dtc.table.htm

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Fault_Codes&pageuntil=01279#mw-pages

The Ross-Tech site has a list of common fixes also.

What would be great to see here. Is a spreadsheet or flow chart type list of the codes most often seen on the Eurovan, it's related common fixes, any associated images.

Maybe this is something someone, multiple people, here would like to work on. Maybe creating an easy to search master list with links to further specific information on each sub topic.

Making it an easy place for the common issues to be found and sorted out.

If there is anyone that really thrives on this type of thing or wants to work on it with others I'm sure I can find a way to give those people full control over a specific sub-forum-sticky topic, etc. Kinda a group wiki for each engine.

Thoughts?

Cole

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 07:03:19 pm »
I did a fly and buy last August - Des Moines to Atlanta for my EV with a planned camp in Land Between the Lakes KY.  I had been EV hunting for quite a time and this one had only 40k miles as it was a '3rd car.'  Nearing my overnight stay after 550 trouble-free miles the MIL illuminated.   :-*

The code was P0441 - Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow.  I cleared it and passed emissions to get the EV registered in GA.  P0441 continued to intermittently trip for the next several months (sometimes I'd go a several weeks without) before I decided to chase it down.

I found a 2011 post on the Bentley T4 Tech Discussion forum and it proved accurate.  http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/thread.jspa?threadID=43647

There is a micro filter in front of the N80 valve that you might check as preventative next time you are under the hood - it's super easy access.  Mine was filled with very fine carbon powder and clearly inhibiting the purge flow.  No P0441 since.

Had the same issue with N80 valve - activated charcoal from canister got into its screen. Wish I saw that  discussion on Bentley forum, would save me some time on troubleshooting.  Mine was throwing code 16839/P0455 "EVAP System: Large Leak Detected".

-albertr

Offline Farther

• Rosie, the Corgi, is my copilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 04:54:27 pm »
Mine recently threw a check engine light and since I had an appointment for an alignment and new shocks I would let the dealer took a look.  The code was P0440 (evap leak?).  Since I had recently overfilled the tank a couple of time and it took gas very slowly intermittently I thought I had wetted out the charcoal canister.  I told the dealer to just reset the code and we would deal with it if it threw the code again.  On the 50 mile drive home, no codes and it ran fine.  Time will tell. 
Thanks,
~Farther

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 06:33:54 pm »
The p0440 can also be caused by the n115 canister vent  valve. The n115 is located over the gas tank on the inner left frame rail. If the valve is leaking the ldp pressure will leak out the intake tube that goes into the frame. If the n115 needs to be replaced the gas tank will need to drop down. I have written an email to doorman to get cut sheets on a specific purge valve that should match the oem at a fraction of the cost, I have not gotten a response yet. I have read the fuel pump gasket can leak as well but that can be accessed through the floor panel between the front seats under the carpet I think.
 I decided to purchase the doorman purge valve they are absolutely identical.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:49:23 pm by robinson1509 »

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 09:14:01 am »
Feedback from a malfunctioning sensor can create improper fuel ratios in the short term fuel and timing adjustments done in the ecu and cause the engine to run ruogh in closed loop. Disconnecting the maf sensor forces the ecu to enter open loop and run using map parameters.  If the engine runs smoother in open loop with the maf disconnected you know the problem is in the fuel and timing regulation. If you log your vag reading when your engine is running well you will have a good baseline for future comparrison. Do not forget to label your files.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:26:10 am by robinson1509 »