Offline 42pvan

• View Profile
Bike Racks
« on: June 21, 2015, 05:47:48 pm »
Just got my new bike rack from 1 Up and I love it! The one I got is a single bike version but you can add on up to two more racks, but I only got 1 add on for now. When it's in single bike mode with no bike, I can open the back hatch without moving it at all. With bikes on, they can pivot out of the way to get the hatch. Converting between single and double and removing the rack takes about 30 seconds. Loading bikes is really easy and you don't have to worry about scratching the bike or car paint.
I thought about all the different ways to carry bikes on a van and concluded this was the best option. I might consider putting the rack on the front of the van at some point to have better access to the rear but I think this a good solution for now.
Tried it out today on a solo ride up our local mountain, driving to the base and riding up (about 3000') and back down. Then changed and had a cool drink from the fridge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
Re: Bike Racks
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 01:10:33 am »
Very nice  -- I'm struggling to find the right way to carry the family's bikes. I have a roof rack - but its out of my reach to load up the roof. I'm interesting in hitch mounted options -- nice to see a review of one here.

Can you share what is the max # of bikes that can be daisy-chained on that system? What does a system like this cost?

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 08:03:19 am »
Looks like a great setup! Can you share more info on its maker/model/price/etc?

-albertr

Offline 42pvan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 10:03:36 pm »
Okay, you asked for it! The maker is "1-Up" and it's a small USA company (1upusa.com).  The racks are all aluminum with very nice fits and finishes.  The down side to these is the price. I got the super duty single for 2" hitch and it cost $399 and it can carry bikes up to 75 pounds! The add-on was another $269. I could add one more for a total of three bike racks with my set up. They also make slightly less robust versions for a bit less money. The black that I got is $30-60 more than the silver. You can also get a double to start with and add on two more slots for a total of 4 bikes.
I was leaning towards a Kuat bike rack (http://kuatracks.com) before one of our work clients turned me onto these. The Kuat is more widespread and carried by bike stores and REI and others, but I really liked the 1Up racks. We had a hitch mount rack that the bikes hung from and I always hated it and have long since forgotten the price, so figured I would just spend the money now and get something I like and in a few years I will forget the price as well

I may get the hitch extension at some point because I have to have the hitch a bit farther out than recommended for the back hatch to clear in single bike mode. They also have some other nifty add ons as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Lugboot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 06:03:42 am »
Those are nice racks!  They are on the short list for when I have to replace my Yakima hitch rack.
Brett

Offline mech23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 01:12:34 pm »
I also use a 1up rack. Added LED trailer tail lights since the bikes block the van's lights.
Mine's a bit different than the one above in that the bike trays are single piece, non-folding. A bit heavier, but I can use the rack for cargo or bikes.

Offline xeres

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 10:34:08 pm »
My rack is slightly different -- holds 2 bikes -- it's more of an inverted and flattened J where the top tubes rest and are clamped down. It has been so long I don't remember what make/model (bought it for my 02 Beetle) but it was a Rack 'n' Road special. The one 'feature' I'd change is the bikes should be lashed down to prevent a lot of movement (a tire tray would be my choice, I think).  It does fold down but never used that feature with the NB. As soon as the hitch is installed on the van, the folding will come in very handy.

Offline Snowshoer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 05:13:10 pm »
The 1up racks are one of the better designed racks available. You can buy spacers to adjust the fork span to accommodate fat tire bikes (snow bikes). Someday I hope to get one.
1999 Techno-Blue EV-Westy