Offline M.steward77

• 1993 eurovan mv
    • View Profile
So it does it sporadically but now its doing it more often then it used to and it makes me very uncomfortable to contiune starting it like this. So when i turn the key obviously the starter is the first thing and i here it run for like a second or two then a weird noise like either a backfire or just a clack noise or pop i cant describe it. it could be the starter stoping the spin and restarting and stopping but quickly. And i thought okay maybe broken teeth on the starter, so i took it off and it looked fine, obviously old, but fine. Its the original starter so could be about time. and ive got the 93 5 speed.

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
Re: Need help! loud popping while starting but runs fine when it starts
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 03:33:05 pm »
So it does it sporadically but now its doing it more often then it used to and it makes me very uncomfortable to contiune starting it like this. So when i turn the key obviously the starter is the first thing and i here it run for like a second or two then a weird noise like either a backfire or just a clack noise or pop i cant describe it. it could be the starter stoping the spin and restarting and stopping but quickly. And i thought okay maybe broken teeth on the starter, so i took it off and it looked fine, obviously old, but fine. Its the original starter so could be about time. and ive got the 93 5 speed.

Starter solenoid? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starter_solenoid

Offline M.steward77

• 1993 eurovan mv
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 04:53:14 pm »
Dont think so. i think it is a cylinder firing because when i disconnect my iginition coil so there isnt any spark the starter will just run and run and it wont make the sound anymore. Any other thoughts? could this be a sign of ignition coil going bad?

Offline andrew

• Sounds like a diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 12:56:28 pm »
I would look into the ignition system— maybe a bad module, but remember these still had an actual distributer. Verify timing is set properly and that the plug wires are in good shape. It sounds like spark intermittently jumping to the wrong cylinder for one reason or another.

For that matter, a coil fires when its charge is *disconnected*; a short in the coil/ignition module at the wrong time could cause a misfire.

Offline M.steward77

• 1993 eurovan mv
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 03:31:30 pm »
Thanks so much! Was actually going to check the timing this weekend. Ill let you know what happens with it.

Offline trbowgn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 08:52:57 am »
+1 on timing and firing order. 
Kyle O.
95 EVC 5cyl 5spd

Offline M.steward77

• 1993 eurovan mv
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 03:41:43 pm »
Checked my timing, the mark was a little bit off. Dont know how far is to far, but as we loosened the first alan screw it started pouring, so i tightened it and ran inside. Going to finish adjusting tomorrow... Florida weather sucks.... Sunny one second, pouring the next.

Offline M.steward77

• 1993 eurovan mv
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 03:50:09 am »
So i adjusted my timing and it still seems to have the noise happening randomly. Any other thoughts? could it be the starter engaging and disengaging, a failing ignition coil, dirty distrubutor?

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 07:13:44 am »
Have you seen this troubleshooting guide?

http://vweurovan.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Tutorial_1

It might spark some ideas that would allow you test your components and isolate the problem.  ;)

Offline M.steward77

• 1993 eurovan mv
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 06:43:36 pm »
Well today pulling into work the van decided to just shut off when pulling into the parking spot. After work today got in the van and it wouldnt start just crank. Immediately i knew it was the ignition coil cause the last time it wouldnt start it did the same thing. So i swapped in a new one! Ding problem solved! no more loud popping or not starting. Must have just been my  coil on its last legs. But glad the problems solved.