New EVC - what to service
« on: June 09, 2015, 01:38:31 am »
Just purchased a new '95 full camper (new to Eurovans, but have a Vanagon).  Drove it up from San Diego to Los Angeles and it drove great, even better after I filled it with 91 octane gas.  I had a mechanic look it over before I bought it, apart from some deteriorating rubber (including the spare tire), and some rust around the master cylinder and rear brake pistons it's in great shape.  He suggested I flush the brake fluid. 

I'm going on a trip with it on the 18th with my family, I was wondering if there is any maintenance that it is advisable to do.  I'm planning to:
-flush brake fluid
-flush automatic transmission fluid
-new spare tire

Anything else?  For a spare, do I need the expensive 100 load rated tire, or could I get away with a lighter cheaper tire to get me to a repair shop if I need to?

Thanks in advance!
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

Offline trbowgn

• View Profile
Re: New EVC - what to service
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 11:17:10 am »
How old is the timing belt? Did the mechanic pull the cover and inspect it for cracks?  The 5 cylinder is an interference engine in the 95s.  We changed ours immediately after purchase along with doing a full tune up and fluid change.

On the spare you could go cheaper just know that it is not going to get you back home from far away and you will have to stop at a tire shop ASAP.   
Kyle O.
95 EVC 5cyl 5spd

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 11:40:13 am »
Thanks Kyle!  Good thought about the timing belt.

The PO changed the timing belt (serpentine belt? are they the same?), I assumed the mechanic checked it (it was at a VW dealership).  I'll check the service records and see when it was done.  The guy was an engineer, type A personality, self described neat freak - i.e. the car was babied.

The engine oil looks new, but I think a complete fluid change might be a good idea - start everything fresh.

Also, the transmission has 140K miles on it.  Is it worth it (after this trip) to put on a ATF cooler like the one GoWesty sells? 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 11:41:56 am by DRotblatt »
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 02:38:57 pm »
I'd always change the timing belt and all the rollers and water pump.

It's often a seized bearing in a roller or water pump that causes timing belt failure.

The serpentine belt drives the accessories and should also be changed while you have it off to do the other work.

The rest of the stuff can kinda be changed as needed.

Good luck! Enjoy the van! Post pictures!
Cole

Offline trbowgn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 07:21:07 pm »
Yes like Cole said when you change the timing belt you change every ware item you can. A timing belt is one of those cheap part but lots of labour. It's not horrible on these you just need to take out the passenger wheel well and drop the tub and do most the work through the wheel well. If you take it to a shop plan $1500-2000 and most shops will not do it without changing the WP and rollers. 
Kyle O.
95 EVC 5cyl 5spd

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 08:18:17 pm »
Well, I just looked over the repair receipts from PO's. 

-The timing belt was changed "as a preventative measure" in 2006, but that was only 20K ago.  Seems the first owner put 100K on the car in the first 6 years.  Since then it's only had 40K miles put on it. 

I'm bringing it in tomorrow to a good mechanic I know and I'll have all the fluids changed and a regular servicing.  I'll be sure to ask them to check the timing belt for wear and cracks and look over the car to make sure they don't see anything else.  I've worked on cars before (I have a '66 spitfire that I'm restoring, already rebuilt the engine), so timing belt sounds like a job I can do myself this summer.

Thanks all for the input!  I'll post pics after I take some on the trip!
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 12:08:31 pm »
Change automatic transmission fluid and filter - http://europarts-sd.com has great prices. If you have the 098 tranny, you can use non-VW fluid, like Mobil1.

Add a transmission cooler (GoWesty's is worth the extra $ - wish they had released that when I did mine), as well as an inline transmission temp gauge, since you have an ODB1 system, and cannot use a ScanGauge to read temp.

As Cole said, if water pump has not been done, make sure to do that (along with the rollers).

Don't skimp on the spare - never know how long you may need to ride on it. Very few choices in the 15 inch size for that load rating (Nokian WRC's are the best, IMHO - I have had Contis, Agelis, and now Nokian - 16 inch wheels and tires are due at next change)

Carry a belt that can bypass the air compressor: http://europarts-sd.com/serpentineemergencybelt1992-1995.asp
95 EVC
1705.net
Thanks to everyone I forget to thank!

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 07:49:15 am »
Well, I just looked over the repair receipts from PO's. 

-The timing belt was changed "as a preventative measure" in 2006, but that was only 20K ago.  Seems the first owner put 100K on the car in the first 6 years.  Since then it's only had 40K miles put on it. 

I'm bringing it in tomorrow to a good mechanic I know and I'll have all the fluids changed and a regular servicing.  I'll be sure to ask them to check the timing belt for wear and cracks and look over the car to make sure they don't see anything else.  I've worked on cars before (I have a '66 spitfire that I'm restoring, already rebuilt the engine), so timing belt sounds like a job I can do myself this summer.

Thanks all for the input!  I'll post pics after I take some on the trip!

Two things to consider.

First, it can be more about age than mileage. That belt is now 9 years old.

Secondly, rust and corrosion builds up on the surface of the bearings and surfaces inside the tensionors and waterpump, especially if it's been sitting more than driving.  It's this corrosion that will break those rollers down, eventually causing them to seize. This is what breaks a high number of timing belts.

People get themselves into trouble by just inspecting for cracks in the belt. A seized tensioner will destroy a brand new belt in a matter of minutes.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 07:50:55 am by Cole »
Cole

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 11:36:31 am »
Just an update for those following the thread.

The van is in the shop (Performance Plus in Canoga Park…really good people) and they took a look a the timing belt. It was cracked and old.  Around $750 to replace (along with water pump and a bunch of other bits and pieces) which seems fair.  Since I'm leaving for Gold Country (Jamestown, CA) and Yosemite in 6 days I don't have much choice anyway.  Also changing ATF, oil, coolant flush, power steering service, adjusting brakes.  They found a coolant leak at a top flange needs fixing ($200).  The oil pan has a minuscule leak, they said wait on it.  A few more small things as well.  A number of dry cracking rubber boots and misc., but the parts are fine, so there's no need to replace them now. 

All in all they said it was a really well kept up car for it's age (which I knew from the service reports).
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 11:44:48 am »
Thanks again David - why carry a belt that can bypass the AC cooler?  Is it easier to install on the road? 

I'm considering the ATF cooler from GoWesty.  The tranny already has 140,000 on it….don't know it it would make a difference at this point.  i.e. it's either working or it's already damaged.  GoWesty suggests that if the tranny lasts over 100,000 it's a good one.  On the other hand, I have seen several EVC's when I was looking for sale that had them replaced at 130K or 140K.  That said, the service people said the tranny fluid looked pretty good.  Red with a few small brown specks in it.  Anyway, no time before this trip!  Leaving in 6 days.
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 02:34:32 pm »
If your AC compressor seizes (not uncommon), you can bypass it with this belt.

That whole "if it is fine at 100K, it is OK" is kind of silly (IMHO) - our "perfectly fine" AT at 120K needed to be rebuilt, and I believe that if it had more regular transmission fluid changes, and/or a cooler, it "may" have lasted longer - who really knows.

I can say that the design of the AT cooler (where the AT is "cooled" by the engine coolant) is great for around town driving - your tranny fluid gets to proper temp quite quickly, and stays at a "reasonable" temperature. Going up mountain passes, hauling all the gear for a trip, etc will really get that fluid heating up, shortening its life, and the life of your tranny.

Adding a cooler also lowers the water temp when you are climbing passes (since it is not dealing with the extremely hot AT fluid in the stock tranny cooler), which is a nice side benefit.
95 EVC
1705.net
Thanks to everyone I forget to thank!

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 10:44:29 pm »
Thanks all, back from my trip a couple of weeks ago.  Definitely have some stories, but I'll relate that in the "Share your Adventures" section.  The two points germane to this thread was lousy gas mileage and overheating. 

Coming out of Los Angeles and going up the back side of the grapevine (the not the steep side) I suddenly saw that the temp light was flashing and needle was almost at the top of the gauge…I slowed down to 25 or so and it stopped flashing, but stayed on the edge (i.e. if I sped up the light started flashing again).  Made it over the top, and it cooled down fast.  For the rest of the trip, I popped it in 3rd and kept the revs under 3000 up hills and that kept it from overheating.  I had the coolant flushed before I left, so I'm having the thermostat checked.  Are your 5 bangers prone to overheat?

Second was lousy gas milage.  Maybe an average of 14 mpg if I'm lucky.  12.8 coming out of L.A. and up the grapevine.  Around 16 mpg on the I5 and I14…fairly level.  12-3 mpg driving around and then up towards Yosemite, a little over 20 mpg coming down out of Yosemite, then back down to 13 or so after going up over the grapevine (slowly) and into Los Angeles.  Seems really low, but it's a little engine, and going up the hills….  I also wonder is there is some other issue if we combine it with the overheating.  I'd be interested in what kind of milage other eurovans get.
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 10:41:56 am »
I am also new to the Eurovan world but one thing your trip brings up is whether or not there are any nice aftermarket oil coolers for the 5 cyl. engine?  I know there are many options being implemented in the Vanagon world.  If anyone knows a good option for us, please post!
Bill
1993 Syncro Weekender (5 speed Manual)

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 12:54:47 pm »
Turns out one of my radiator fans was not working.  We'll have to see if that takes care of the overheating, but it certainly might.  Will let you guys know after I take it on the road later next week, as I'll be going over the grapevine again. 

For those who don't know of it, if you head out of L.A. up the I5, there's a pass over the mountain into the San Joaquin Valley.  It's a 5% 5 mile grade up to Tejon pass, then a 6% straight downhill grade into the valley.  At the bottom of the pass is a community called Grapevine (invisible from the highway).  In the old days it was a two lane highway and infamous for runaway trucks and accidents. 
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

Offline AngryScot

• van/bike camping gear junky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 12:29:01 pm »
Good stuff, just finishing off a deal on a 93 mv and will be taking her in for a bunch or preventative items it seems.
Enjoyed the ADV threads Cole, hopefully you can keep both paces updates with the goodness.