Offline mastersryan!

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Coasting to a stop and vehicle shuts off
« on: August 04, 2016, 09:26:57 am »
Has anybody run into this issue? I just purchased a 1993 mv weekender 5spd and it seems to be running fine (high mileage). But when downshifting in coming to a stop if I leave in gear and hold clutch the vehicle will shut off. I can either pop it to start back up or crnak the key but the shutting off is worrying me.

Any thoughts?
1993 VW Eurovan MV Weekender 2.5L 5spd

Offline JoshWa

• Wrench fumbler
    • View Profile
    • TDI conversion
Re: Coasting to a stop and vehicle shuts off
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 10:34:20 am »
This happened to me also, but only when the engine was real hot in traffic.  Does it happen no matter how hot the engine is?  I ended up putting a diesel in, so I didn't really get around to seeing what I could have done to remedy the problem.  Sometimes it would happen in reverse also, but no matter the temp of the van.  The engine otherwise ran fine.  Sorry, not much help, but i did experience something of what you have mentioned.

Offline mastersryan!

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 11:23:53 am »
I live in South Florida so it's always hot I feel like haha.. But seriously, this was just on a short drive 4-6miles this happened twice. But if I took the vehicle out of gear and coasted it didn't happen, only when in gear at a slow roll 5-10mph with the clutch engaged.
1993 VW Eurovan MV Weekender 2.5L 5spd

Offline JoshWa

• Wrench fumbler
    • View Profile
    • TDI conversion
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 09:22:01 pm »
If I remember right, that was the same for me.  Only when I had the clutch in as well.