Offline erik.wahlstrom

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
"A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced
« on: August 20, 2017, 08:18:03 pm »
Got a CEL today.  Only 200 miles after a major transmission/electrical update.  Today I drove just a few miles and had no problem. Parked the car.  When I went to start it, it cranked but wouldn't turn over. IT's done this in the past when warm, so I gat it a little gas.  It started but the CEL came on.  When I got it home I scanned it:
  • P0011 - "A" Camshaft Position - timing Over-Advanced or System Performance
  • P0300 Random Multiple Cylinder is fire Detected
  • P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfile Detected
  • P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfile Detected
  • P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfile Detected
  • P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfile Detected
I let it cool for a few hours and it's still hard to start and runs really rough.
Any ideas? Please tell me it's not the timing chain.

Offline evlove

• Always in Repair
    • View Profile
Re: "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 11:54:54 am »
That doesn't sound/look very good. I'd pull the valve cover off and the upper timing chain cover for a visual check. The chain guides may have failed and the chain skipped a tooth. Chances are you have valve damage at the least. Total bummer. 
Paul

Offline erik.wahlstrom

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 12:23:21 pm »
That doesn't sound/look very good. I'd pull the valve cover off and the upper timing chain cover for a visual check. The chain guides may have failed and the chain skipped a tooth. Chances are you have valve damage at the least. Total bummer.

The engine is out and it's not the timing.  Turns out the engine is really gunked up. The shop thinks the former owner did a poor repair and resulted in starving the top of the engine of oil.  There is a screen for oil which was entirely gone. As they pull more parts out the find more failing. Exhaust cam adjuster came apart. (see pic)

So we're shopping for a new engine.  Mine have 210K miles on it so I'm OK with a replacement if we can find one.

This is a Porsche/Audi shop.  They are really good but not VW

Offline evlove

• Always in Repair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 12:56:16 pm »
Wow, that's filthy! Probably better replace anyway, it'll cost a lot in labor just to clean and replace broken parts.
Paul