Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
Cracks in plastic EVC roof?
« on: June 24, 2015, 09:38:22 am »
I've heard some horror stories about cracks developing in EVC plastic roof. After installing Fan-tastic vent and three solar panels I'm starting to worry about how the roof is holding under that additional weight. Keeping my fingers crossed that I won't see any cracks, but still cannot ease my mind. If someone had cracks developed in EVC plastic roof, can you share under which circumstances it has happened?

-albertr

Re: Cracks in plastic EVC roof?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 09:35:40 am »
Our 95 developed a couple of small cracks on the lower edge in the middle of the roof when it was 15 years old or so.  We decided to replace the top.  The new top lasted a year before the first crack zipped right across in the middle.  I had it and the ensuing cracks welded up until it started cracking alongside the welds and it developed a crack across the underside.  It was at this point I replaced it with a fiberglass top made for me by Colorado Camper Van.

Causes of cracking.  The cracks in the original top were most likely a combination of age and winter snow load.  The second top is more problematic.  After installation, I put GoWesty-bought Yakima roof racks on.  This entailed drilling holes into the roof for the rail anchor bolts.  Some of the cracks that developed later (but not all) ran through these holes.  That still doesn't explain the crack across the inner shell, though.

Lessons learned.  All these cracks were expansive in nature -- that is, there was empty space between the crack edges.  So there may have been stress applied to the outer shell by the metal frame inside the top.  Perhaps one should avoid drilling holes in the top and garage your bus or live somewhere that doesn't snow a lot.

Our new top is so superior in the ease of use, the extra space, and convenience during weird weather that it would take a few more paragraphs to explain it.

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:35:21 pm »
Your new fiberglass pop-top looks great! Would be interested to see your review/write-up about it.

Do you happen to have any pictures of the cracks on your plastic pop-top roof?

Thanks!

-albertr

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:02:03 pm »
I thought I did, but I cannot seem to locate them.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:28:14 am »
I have to say that I am very jealous of this top - I have watched the YouTube videos from Colorado Camper Van, and they look very, very cool.

Would you happen to know if Colorado Camper Van will make more of these? I know I can ask THEM, but....  ;D
95 EVC
1705.net
Thanks to everyone I forget to thank!

Offline Nemesisnight

• The Mountains Are Calling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 01:41:26 pm »
I'm sure they plan on selling as many as possible now that they have the mold made.  I really like the idea of this top and the extra space it provides, just wish it was a little more low profile as I think it doesn't look as good or natural as the original personally, but maybe that's just me or how it looks in pictures, i know sometimes that can be misleading.  If the shape was slimmed down a bit and shaped up a little more it would defiantly be superior to the original in every aspect and handle racks and roof loads much better due to the extra strength from the fiberglass vs plastic. I really like how it has the ability to lift it with ease without removing anything.  Maybe Cole will work with someone to come up with something sweet to sell for CaveVan someday  ;) :D.  This does seem like the best alternative for now though.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 01:51:10 pm »
I'm sure that Colorado Camper Vans would be only too happy to make and install one for you.  The extra height is necessary to accommodate the linear actuator motors and scissor mechanisms.  DE

Offline Kamprknut

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 02:24:32 pm »
Had some significant cracks just forward of the strut mount location. Have successful repair using Dremel tool and ABS materials. Driving the van and watching for crack propagation or new damage, so far so good. Would be willing to share procedure and lessons learned if interested.

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 03:25:11 pm »
Sure, would love to hear how you repaired it... would be much appreciated!

-albertr

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 12:25:05 am »
Albert you can buy my new poptop I just listed here on the forum

...tapped out with just a thumb

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 11:31:58 am »
I've noticed that plastic roof has sagged on my 2001 EVC of the course of the last year. Sagging started from front struts attachment point all the way till the rear end. Here's a picture that illustrates it. The square tube was used as a level and the nickel coin was used as a reference (~ 21mm in diameter).

No cracking is visible on the plastic, but it really makes me nervous. I'm in the process of redoing my solar setup, and will try to re-enforce the roof with some aluminum rails.

-albertr

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 12:13:53 pm »
Thanks to the internet, found some pictures of EVC with cracked roof. I don't see any roof rack installed on this van, but it clearly has the same roof bow ... dammit.

-albertr

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 01:01:16 pm »

Offline CARiD

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 02:49:46 am »
Nice write up very informative, some of the adhesive resins can really fix some small cracks and prevent them from expanding, so you got to inspect it pretty often.

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 12:30:07 pm »
So three years later, and still no cracks on my roof! Also, the aluminum rails allowed me to reduce some of the bowing, although it's still visible. I guess I'll keep inspecting it and if the worst happens, will try to Colorado Camper Van as a possible replacement option.

-albertr