Offline erik.wahlstrom

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
What rattles and how to fix it
« on: February 27, 2016, 09:04:04 am »
My next project is to quiet down the interior a bit.  I thought we could use a topic on quieting rattles.  I don't have any suggestions yet, but I'll be tearing down my doors today to see what I can find.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:07:12 am by erik.wahlstrom »

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
Re: What rattles and how to fix it
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 03:48:43 pm »
Under my van, the ebrake cable rattles a bit

...tapped out with just a thumb

Offline erik.wahlstrom

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 09:10:38 pm »
I get a distinct squeak/rattle from the popup. Pushing up in the roof while driving quiets it down. Any solutions?

Offline Tim$2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 02:55:51 pm »
I've found the worst offenders to be the lid that covers the stove burners (solved by putting a thin piece of foam between the side shields and lid) and the crank window above the stove/sink.  Not sure what to do with that one yet...

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 03:31:38 pm »
I get a distinct squeak/rattle from the popup. Pushing up in the roof while driving quiets it down. Any solutions?

The Westfalia poptop is adjustable. The pin that locks down into the roof has a lock nut on it. Free it and you can adjust the pin tighter to hold your top down tighter.

I've found that leaving this lock nut finger tight is the best solution. The top and roof of the van expand/contract in the cold/heat. For example, if you adjust that nut night in the cold, then open the top when warm out it may be impossible to shut. Conversely, if you adjust the pin when its warm out, it will rattle whenever its cooler.  So I just adjust them whenever needed, by hand.
Cole

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 03:32:52 pm »
....also the bed board, upper front and rear deck can rattle. Gluing thick felt pad down on the contact surface will cure it. The Eurovan came with little rubber isolating tape on the later vans but most of them are gone now.
Cole

Offline AngryScot

• van/bike camping gear junky
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 02:59:27 pm »
sugru was my fix for many contact point squeaks.

www.sugru.com

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 04:19:42 pm »
The plastic arround the steering column scrapes and there is a rattle on my sunroof.

Offline Phaeton

• Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 10:23:12 am »
When I do the stereo I intend to rip up the carpet and possibly the headliner to install Second Skin audio materials.

Offline Snowshoer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 04:02:58 am »
The bed boards rattle on my van also, drives me nuts to the point of me pushing up on the one that I can reach while driving. 
1999 Techno-Blue EV-Westy

Offline IdeaNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 01:34:35 pm »
That's funny -- I just did that yesterday too, as an experiment (pushing up on the board I could reach).

What I notice most is creaking sounds coming from the roof area, when the van body is getting torqued in a corner or during one-wheel-at-a-time
"driveway curb" exits. Is that the pop-top roof itself (Weekender in this case), or the bunk board, or both? If the former, any suggestions how to quiet that down?

Offline IdeaNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 02:19:50 am »
The Westfalia poptop is adjustable. The pin that locks down into the roof has a lock nut on it. Free it and you can adjust the pin tighter to hold your top down tighter.

Did NOT know this. Very useful to know -- thanks! Pretty sure much of our "creaking" sounds come from this and the bunk boards (which you also mention).

Thanks again!

Offline FormerKnuckleDragger

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 12:42:55 pm »
The latch (locking the seat to the frame rails) on the rear bench in my Eurovan Winnebago seems to have two operating modes: (1) quiet, but so tight that you can't lock/unlock the seat, and therefore can't convert from bed to seat or back; and (2) loose enough to operate the latch, but also incredibly loud rattle above 25 miles per hour.

I'm thinking that a plastic washer between the screw and the latch mechanism might be slippery enough to allow the latch to operate, but be tight enough to prevent the dice-in-a-tumbler sound.  Anyone got a better idea?