Offline Farther

• Rosie, the Corgi, is my copilot
    • View Profile
Inside rear view mirror?
« on: September 13, 2015, 11:42:55 am »
The mirror on my EVC is mounted off center and is not cleared by the sun visor when dropped down.  In addition it is a floppy model.  New ones are way too expensive.  While driving it back home from the NY I managed to twist it off. without damage, and was amazed at the panoramic front view through the windshield without the thing. 

Three questions:
1. How does a person get the glued on windshield mount off to reposition?
2. What replacement models are available?
3. Can the mirror windshield mount be tightened?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 05:25:16 pm by Farther »
Thanks,
~Farther

Offline Nemesisnight

• The Mountains Are Calling
    • View Profile
Re: Inside rear view mirror?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 11:47:39 am »
Don't have any real answers for you but my 2000 EVC has no extra mount or base to remove the mirror, it is semi-permanently glued into place as a complete unit and whenever I change my windshield they remove it from the old windshield and glue it back into place......not sure if you have a different type or if its damaged causing it to be "floppy".

Offline Farther

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 02:51:12 pm »
Mines is as you described yours.  My EVC front glass is too nice to not have been replaced in the last 15 years and the installers apparently kind of buggered up the mirror side of the mount and glued the windshield side of the mount off center.  The stock mirror, in my opinion, is too large and does not provide any advantage over a smaller mirror.  I hope to get a universal 8" mirror that is more narrow than the stock and considerably cheaper at $14.
Thanks,
~Farther

Offline Farther

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 06:32:44 pm »
Mirror's in.  Found a youtube video on how to remove the mounting button on the windshield.  I used a long stalk butane lighter and held the button with a ViseGrip until it came free.  New mirror was an easy install.  I like the smaller mirror. 

If anybody wants my stock mirror with mount, it is your for the price of shipping.
Thanks,
~Farther

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 03:21:17 am »
I kept my stick button, but upgraded to an Audi mirror with temp and auto dimmer

...tapped out with just a thumb